Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Combat Positioning

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
May 3, 2012, 7:32:17 PM
I think it would be nice to have simple positioning system during battles. Like an option before each phase to decide if your fleet should advance toward the enemy, hold ground, or maintain distance. This would allow ships that are designed to fight up close or from afar do so, enemy permitting of course. I feel it would make battles a little more exciting and involved. This idea could probably mean renaming the phases, as the 4th phase might not be melee necessarily. And it could also mean prolonging battles until one side is defeated or retreats.

Maybe it's too late in the design process to open up a can of worms like this, but doesn't have to mean radically changing the battle system.

What do you think?
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 3, 2012, 7:34:08 PM
Yep. The cards are good, but it would be cool to be able to choose some other options alongside the card.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 3, 2012, 7:35:52 PM
I think it would be nice to add some additions to the battle system, but I can understand how it might be a little late in the development cycle to add the kind of things you are talking about
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 3, 2012, 8:21:39 PM
I agree this would be a nice feature though it may be a little more complicated than people would first expect just to add the feature, though these would be welcome features also. The main snag I can see is the requirement of adding an extra ranged measuremnt to the system (e.g. extreme range) else missiles would win every time since it would be possible to maintain that distance indefinately. How I would like to see range implimented;

Along with picking a card for each battle phase you may choose whether to close, maintain bearing, or withdraw. Along with being able to choose these in the battle phases you may also choose which action to take in the prologe and epilogue phases.

The addition of extreme range will be necessary to negate the ability to stay at effective missile ranges. Range modifiers would work like so;

Extreme - No weapons are particularly effective. Missiles will run out of fuel before they have a chance to impact.

This way it is a gamble to pull away whilst already at long range. Long, mid and short range mods would be fine as they are. Perhaps the addition of close range would also be a good idea so that projetiles don't always win the day by constantly closing once you reach short range. Perhaps in the form of chaff/decoys/other defensive weapons not having time to intercept.

Either way to see the ability to close/maintain/withdraw would be a welcome addition.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 3, 2012, 9:11:22 PM
First I have to say that I really like the battle system, it feels fresh. That said, I think it could be made a little deeper as you guys have said. Also, could we get a little more camera control? sometimes the camera sort of stares at nothing while my ships are kicking ass
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 3, 2012, 9:55:32 PM
Definitely needs some camera control!!! Would make battles that much better.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 12, 2012, 6:14:38 PM
This thread is the origin of discussions about combat positioning options before/during the battle.

Other threads about this have been archived:

/#/endless-space/forum/29-archives/thread/13688-suggestion-slight-combat-system-modification

Feel free to post here about this topic here and inform yourself about the variations the threads listed above have already discussed, but don't open new suggestion threads for anything alike. smiley: wink
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment