Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

[Suggestion] MP: Max turn length - Turn timer

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Jun 12, 2012, 2:19:32 PM
Suggestion:

For multiplayer, the 'fun component' of the game can quickly be hampered if one of more players takes many minutes to complete a turn where the rest of the players are waiting. It has often inspired me to get a good book out to read in between turns, but for the sake of keeping the game (which is already long by default) at an appropriate duration between turns, player turns should have the option of being restricted.

the most obvious solution would be to add a timer for the turn. But a static timer doesn't really apply to this game. While there are times that my turns last less than 20 seconds, I have had turns that last longer for any number of reasons.

I propose a 'majority timer' that doesn't start the countdown for a turn until a certain percentage of players have ended their turn. For instance, if you have 4 people and 3/4 have ended the turn, a 1 min (time could be set by the host in options at beginning of game [30sec,90sec,etc]) countdown begins until the turn automatically ends. For 8 player game, 6/8 people that end their turns could start the counter. This is just 75% of people being done, but maybe 66% would be better, what do you think?

Also, you could implement a system that pauses the timer if a battle is going on so as not to penalize players who are stuck inside of a battle.

Thanks for any other suggestions of feedback in advance.

~TurnDamage
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 12, 2012, 7:46:47 PM
I strongly feel that this will get implemented along the way. But it also needs to take into account how far into the game you are, meaning that the time it takes to complete a turn increases exponentially.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 12, 2012, 7:55:51 PM
TheManInRoomFive wrote:
I strongly feel that this will get implemented along the way. But it also needs to take into account how far into the game you are, meaning that the time it takes to complete a turn increases exponentially.

It doesn't, actually. I've found some late game turns to actually be very fast (to the point where all players in the game completed all actions inside 30 seconds) and some early game ones to be slow, and slow for any number of reasons.

I know I was the last person to click "end turn" a few times because I was scrutinizing my tech queue, or tweaking my tax rate. And once it was because I'd had to stand up and deal with my cat.*

*I had ended my turn, went to deal with the cat, returned to find all players ready for the next turn. Fortunately my actions were quick.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 12, 2012, 8:49:22 PM
Well, I personally find it quite time consuming to manage 30+ systems, but maybe that's just because I haven't played enough games yet.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment