Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Weapon mounts and weapon placement in ship design

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
May 5, 2012, 10:44:56 AM
Hey guys,

first of all: I LOVE this game so far!

It had not even heard of it before it was advertised on steam, and after reading all I could about it, I bought it and do not regret it XD

But I for one am a person who loves to see what he has achieved, and therefore the current handling of this bugs me a bit.

I do not have the feeling that it makes any difference how many guns I install on a ship, the number of knietic projectiles fired is always the same. (graphically, that is)

I for one do always imagine guns on spaceships to be bigass railguns or artillery, so I would welcome a change in the animation so that there is one projectile fired for every gun you have installed at a time.

Also I would welcome a change in the sounds, cause machinegun-fire just doesn't fit into my understanding of bigass guns smiley: stickouttongue

Number of projectiles should also be matched to the number of guns for lasers and rockets, for above reasons.

Also I would love a change in the animation of beam weapons to true lasers, either in beams as the phasers in Star Trek or as in really fast flying bolts as in Star Wars, and not the current slow firing plasma balls they are.

(Though I wouldn't argue if plasma guns were introduced XD )

Apart from the number of projectiles fired, I do not like that the projectiles do not change as you advance in research.

I can only speak for kinetic guns here, since I hav not reached the second level of beams nor rockets yet, but I assume it is the same there.

What I want to say by this is, that if you have better weapons, your projectiles should look different. They should be bigger, faster, have a different colour, or all of this smiley: wink

Same goes for the defensive modules. Why not have the shields be red when they are better? Or start with white shields and have them become more and more blue as they become better?

MFG

SirNitram
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 5, 2012, 10:56:14 AM
I very much like these ideas. The battle engine is stunning, and imo it would be fantastic if more could be done to use it to it's full potential. All of the above, + visible turret hardpoints would be epic!

Kudos to the devs for creating one of the coolest battle systems I've used in a 4x game.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 5, 2012, 11:53:48 AM
I suppose adding thigs such as different effects would be the "If we have time/money" goals, but they really should do that if they can.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 5, 2012, 12:57:44 PM
Having the visuals in the battle reflect the designs and reserch would both make the customization more rewarding and it would also help you understand what you're actually up against.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 5, 2012, 3:33:15 PM
+1 for the sound : for now the kinetic make "tatatatata" I think it would be better with "doumdoumdoum"
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 5, 2012, 3:40:14 PM
visual turret hardpoints and more turrets if you have given the ship more of them would be awesome, thou it would look strange sometimes, when you have a big ship and one lousy cannon on its side ...

for the different effects: in my playthrou i had the impression that my weapons changed in colour when i upgraded them. not such a big thing but they did change. thou i would like to see even more different effects for weapons.

To make battles more interesting more sound effects would also be very very cool. like battle communications from your ships. things like: "Targeting Enemy destroyer, missles, fire!" or "We are hit! Hull breach! Hull breach *scramble* ... " smiley: wink
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 5, 2012, 5:27:08 PM
Im supporting this.

Also: I wont copy paste, but please refer to my blog post. Leave your thoughts and if you agree with me, keep on posting the link around. I hope to get the devs attention somehow.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 9, 2012, 7:21:12 PM
This thread is the origin of more detailed ship design/weapon mounts discussions.

Other threads about this have been archived:

/#/endless-space/forum/29-archives/thread/13372-suggestion-unique-ship-design-editor

/#/endless-space/forum/29-archives/thread/13464-suggestion-visible-physical-weapons-on-ships-pew-pew-graphics

/#/endless-space/forum/29-archives/thread/13506-the-big-guns

/#/endless-space/forum/29-archives/thread/13568-suggestion-weapons-to-be-viewed-on-ships

/#/endless-space/forum/29-archives/thread/13962-visible-weapon-mounts-hatches

Feel free to post here about this topic here and inform yourself about the variations the threads listed above have already discussed, but don't open new suggestion threads for anything alike. smiley: wink
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 13, 2012, 7:30:32 AM
Not only the weapons, but every new module should have a visual impact on the ship design like new texture for harder hulls, targetting weapon mounts, different engine styles, sensor arrays and so on. But this is maybe an affort for a mod.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment