Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Combat Simulations

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
May 8, 2012, 11:34:49 PM
I don't believe it has been brought up yet, but I think it would be useful and fun to have a "Combat Simulation", which is basically a custom skirmish battle mode where you can test your new ship designs against other ship designs. Perhaps with an appropriate level of tech, if your enemy is the same faction as you, you could "steal" their ship designs and test them in your combat simulator or improve them for yourself.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 8, 2012, 11:39:14 PM
If something like this were implemented, it would help players learn the way the combat system works. It would make trying out alternate strategies in ship and fleet construction relatively painless, too.

The first thing I'd do is see if my defensively-focused Decoyboys really do add more to a fleet than more conventional ships.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 9, 2012, 12:04:54 AM
That reminds me that I went to have a bit of fun with the autocalc system by creating a fleet of dreadnoughts I named "Brick" loaded with nothing but max tier armor. I figured I'd make sure that the results at least made sense. Conclusion: doesn't do any damage to the enemy fleet, but they don't die, either (too many HP).
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 9, 2012, 2:33:36 AM
PyroVortex wrote:
That reminds me that I went to have a bit of fun with the autocalc system by creating a fleet of dreadnoughts I named "Brick" loaded with nothing but max tier armor. I figured I'd make sure that the results at least made sense. Conclusion: doesn't do any damage to the enemy fleet, but they don't die, either (too many HP).

That is really good =)

More to the point, I would really like to see this but I think that it can wait until the game is finished. For now it is a back burner issue but it would be good to test balancing.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 9, 2012, 2:55:08 AM
Considering balancing is on the horizon, being able to beat out the numbers and run the fights might be a very helpful tool, both for us and the devs.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 9, 2012, 4:33:10 AM
Well, once they release the beta, we can run this sort of test with a pvp game just fine.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 13, 2012, 9:45:31 AM
This thread is the origin of "including a combat simulator"-discussions.

Other threads about this have been archived:

/#/endless-space/forum/29-archives/thread/13225-suggestion-combat-resolver-as-a-plugin

/#/endless-space/forum/29-archives/thread/13725-battle-simulator-to-test-tech-builds-and-strategy

/#/endless-space/forum/29-archives/thread/13949-single-battles

Feel free to post here about this topic here and inform yourself about the variations the threads listed above have already discussed, but don't open new suggestion threads for anything alike. smiley: wink
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 13, 2012, 4:56:42 PM
For any game with customizable fleets like this you need to be able to test them easily without much consequence. Definitely support.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment