logo amplifiers simplified

Exploit / Terraform / Survey - from System View

Yes, add them to the System View
No, leave them in Planet View
Vote now
Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Sep 26, 2012, 11:30:52 PM

It takes much longer to have to go into the Planet View to set planetary exploitation, terraforming and moon survey. It gets VERY annoying and a pain after a few hours.

I suggest moving these options to the System View instead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chBc4ZU7bto

It takes roughly 15 seconds to change Exploits on a 6 planet system with the current interface.

If these options were moved to the System View, it could be done in less than 5 seconds, and without eye strain from having to re-focus from all the zooming.

Example: pop-up menu

This is just an idea of how to do it, obviously there are many other ways it can be done.

Other alternatives:

• icons inside the planets.
  • above or under the planet names
  • above or under the "colonized / anomaly" text
  • any combination of the above

0Send private message
12 years ago
Sep 27, 2012, 6:05:16 AM
I think this would make the system view to cluttered.

Edit: Also, the interface is consistent as it is: Things pertaining to the system are done from the system view, those pertaining to a single planet from the planet view.

But I'd definitely like the system view to tell me which exploitation is active on which planet and whether I can (i.e. have the tech to) remove any adverse condition on a planet.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Sep 27, 2012, 12:41:19 PM
These could be context sensitive menus? Right click on a uncolonised planet, or planet with moon and be able to do tasks from that menu?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Sep 27, 2012, 3:14:34 PM
Black_Smurf wrote:
I think this would make the system view to cluttered.

Edit: Also, the interface is consistent as it is: Things pertaining to the system are done from the system view, those pertaining to a single planet from the planet view.

But I'd definitely like the system view to tell me which exploitation is active on which planet and whether I can (i.e. have the tech to) remove any adverse condition on a planet.

It doesnt have the get cluttered if you do it right. For example a menu that opens when you hover over the planet like this quick illustration: http://i.minus.com/ibuqxXUn5empu.jpg

tanepiper wrote:
These could be context sensitive menus? Right click on a uncolonised planet, or planet with moon and be able to do tasks from that menu?

Right-clicking brings you back to the previous menu so that would not work.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Sep 30, 2012, 12:49:59 PM
I think that's a bad idea. I'm not a friend of popup menus for some reason.

Also I would like to have reason to get to see my planets from close-up and there won't be any if this idea is supported.

And I don't really see what takes so long when using a left click to zoom in and a right click to go back to system overview.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 3, 2012, 5:07:28 PM
Snerch wrote:
I think that's a bad idea. I'm not a friend of popup menus for some reason.

Also I would like to have reason to get to see my planets from close-up and there won't be any if this idea is supported.

And I don't really see what takes so long when using a left click to zoom in and a right click to go back to system overview.

The fact that there is an animation both ways that takes forever, and that it's bugged and goes back to the same planet several times even when clicking another planet sometimes, and strains the eyes because you have to adjust and re-focus.

http://youtu.be/chBc4ZU7bto

And if that is the only reason you have to look at the planets then it's not important to you and a moot point.

There are more ways to do it than pop-up menus, like having semi-transparent icons inside the planets themselves. Or above/under the planet names, or above/under the 'colonized / anomaly' text, or any combination.

Either would be significantly faster than the hassle of going through the zoom animations a trillion times. It actually gets painful just from doing one big system.

Plus you wouldn't have to go into each planet to check if the moon has been surveyed, which is another thing people have been posting about quite a bit.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 9, 2012, 4:47:37 PM
I'm surprised by the lack of support for this.

I just watched a video about motion sickness on Wimp.com and I believe all the system/planet transition zoom and tilting could cause motion sickness if unlucky aswell.

EDIT: I've compiled most of my reasoning into the first post
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment