Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Proposing take a look for different space-games (ships modelling and battle modes).

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Oct 17, 2012, 2:49:56 PM
Hello to everybody!

I from Ukraine, my English pore, but I feel that I must take a word, because yesterday i saw you game and find it cool (great).

And I find it very similar to old (1999) Russian game called "Remember Tomorrow", and this is greate too, because old game do not running on windows and have old graphic.

I was very glad, but some greate things (in my apinion of couse) are apsent in Endless Space.

So, if you havn`t developers in you teem, who make old Remember Tommorow smiley: smile I propouse to Developers and all Comunity take a look on this old game.

I don`t know why it doesn`t be popular like Master of Orion....

Great things:

1. Ships design model.

Like Endless Space (ES) the Remember Tommorow`s (RT) ships differs for different races and differs by type (cruisers, drednout etc.). But in RT at addition you have possibility to place modules like LEGO constructor.

Every ship has own nomber of decks (that represent free yardage). On deck you has tree kinds of space (all represents graphically wthi different colors): engine, weapons, another equipmet, so you can`t place engine in middle of your ship. This model gives much fun while you design the ship. While youth tehnology is yang you can`t place all what you wants, even if the mass not greater then maximum can be. And for different races we have differend deck`s borders becouse differs races ship design.

In RT exist the Fighter-class ships - it can be loaded into Fighter-carier module, that placed on anther big ship.

2. Weapon model.

I don`t know yet how it realize in ES, but in RT exixist parameter Effective Range for veapon and Recharge Period (exclude rockets). But it closer correlating with battle model that emplement in RT.

We have next types of weapon: missle (with different ranges, multiple warheads, autoguider), anti-missle (low-range phasers), Figthers (that can be modeled over constructore room, and may by havy, fully armed rocketry or light), beam weapon (with different ranfes too)...

When new weapon is have been researched you can take a look at 3D model of it.

In RT exisits many different weapon that can be interested...

3. Battle mode.

The battle mode in RT maybe is mostly diifers with ES battle mode.

In RT it a little real-time space strategy. All weapon has it own visualization and sound, so if you know where your place some weapon ouy can watch how it do "BUFF!".

You can pause game and give orders to your ships. Order wich enemy ship will be attacked, can tha ship use rockets. You can give order just for move ship or retreat.

With Weapon model we have vary fun battles!

So, if you interested in collect fine ideas, just take a look at Remember Tomorrow game.

type in Google "remember tommorow" - it show pictures.

If needs - i can upload game and place link in topic.

I hope that Endless Space will collect best possible concepts and add own (tha planet visualisation is perfect i think).

Thanks a lot to developers!
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 17, 2012, 3:54:05 PM
parsvita wrote:
2. Weapon model.

I don`t know yet how it realize in ES, but in RT exixist parameter Effective Range for veapon and Recharge Period (exclude rockets). But it closer correlating with battle model that emplement in RT.

We have next types of weapon: missle (with different ranges, multiple warheads, autoguider), anti-missle (low-range phasers), Figthers (that can be modeled over constructore room, and may by havy, fully armed rocketry or light), beam weapon (with different ranfes too)...

When new weapon is have been researched you can take a look at 3D model of it.

In RT exisits many different weapon that can be interested...

I'd love to see the weapons on the ships, because now the missles/beams/.. come directly out of the ships hull, which looks weird.

3. Battle mode.

The battle mode in RT maybe is mostly diifers with ES battle mode.

In RT it a little real-time space strategy. All weapon has it own visualization and sound, so if you know where your place some weapon ouy can watch how it do "BUFF!".

You can pause game and give orders to your ships. Order wich enemy ship will be attacked, can tha ship use rockets. You can give order just for move ship or retreat.

With Weapon model we have vary fun battles!

I don't think that the battle mode will change, and definitely not that much. The mode differs from most other games, but it has its charms.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 17, 2012, 4:05:34 PM
I don`t know why it doesn`t be popular like Master of Orion....

Because it's a Russian game? Has it even been translated to English?

Otherwise, what you describe seems to be very similar to other 4X games out there (especially Space Empires).

There are many reasons why Endless Space was made the way it is, and IMHO it's a good thing it's trying to find it's own way and not to copy other games too much.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 17, 2012, 4:08:54 PM
BlueTemplar wrote:
... There are many reasons why Endless Space was made the way it is, and IMHO it's a good thing it's trying to find it's own way and not to copy other games too much.

Well said, I agree!
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 18, 2012, 6:59:00 AM
adder wrote:
I'd love to see the weapons on the ships, because now the missles/beams/.. come directly out of the ships hull, which looks weird.

Оh, sory! It`s my English smiley: ohh

I doesn`t mean that you have see weapon deployed ON the ship. Weapon in RT inside the ship too, but idea to see weapon ON ship interested...

In RT we can see weapon pilon, where weapon must be placed.

adder wrote:
I don't think that the battle mode will change, and definitely not that much. The mode differs from most other games, but it has its charms.

I have yestarday 2 battles with pirates, and understand that if the batllemode in ES was like in RT it was very hard to play in multiuser mode smiley: frown

For multiplayer the ES battlemode better.

In post-USSR countries not wery wel spreaded diffrent card-games, like realized in ES, so it something new for us. It must be interested...

But i thinking, that the modeling ship in hangar, deploing weapon, engines in place what you want, than test what you create in the battle or in the poligon with good vizualization - it can be exciting.

Maybe leave the ES carded battlemode, but add the hangar with lego-mode placement of ships parts. And if you put long-range "ion blaster" to nouse of the ship - it start shoot before then low-range blaster or than long-range blaster of previous modification, or if the long-range blaster puts to the stern of the ship (if ship have right orientation in tha space...).

By another word, to add the geometry bounds in ships development and tо the battle (if you weapon has advantage in range - it start shooting earlier (for example)).

BlueTemplar wrote:
Because it's a Russian game? Has it even been translated to English?

I have seen just Russian version smiley: smile But in Russia Master of Orion was mostly popular... I think it was just wrong marketing of RT smiley: frown

For example, do you know the Russian game, called "Space Rangers"? (And I don`t know translated it to English or not)

It very interested role-playing space game (whith 2D graphic but very special and good).

BlueTemplar wrote:
Otherwise, what you describe seems to be very similar to other 4X games out there (especially Space Empires).

There are many reasons why Endless Space was made the way it is, and IMHO it's a good thing it's trying to find it's own way and not to copy other games too much.

Hm, your right. Space Empires (I don`t seen this game before) and RT like ideas-twins, but SE made in 1993 (in 1995 SE II), and RT only in 1997... So maybe therefore RT don`t have been translated to English.

And I agree, that finding it`s own it`s good.

I missing for visualization of developed weapons in battle.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 18, 2012, 12:13:10 PM
I've heard mention of Space Rangers, though it might have been on russian-speaking forums.

For such a detailed ship design to have a use, the combat mechanics would have to be completely redone, they are quite simplistic at the moment if you haven't noticed.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 21, 2012, 5:30:19 PM
"Trying to find its own way" and "not copy other games" are false opposites. Copying others good sides while discarding the not so good design choices is the sanest evolutionary path. ES have really nothing purely unique that we havent seen before and this is a good thing. It builds on tested concepts, on stable ground.

With that said, having not to invent the weel again, ES can now concentrate on taking this concept to the next level. Adding new content, unique or not, and perhaps fill a new niche.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 22, 2012, 9:13:18 AM
Hmm, the combat system seems a pretty original idea to me (apart from having 3 weapons / defenses that was already done in GalCiv).
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 22, 2012, 9:17:27 AM
Obak wrote:
"Trying to find its own way" and "not copy other games" are false opposites. Copying others good sides while discarding the not so good design choices is the sanest evolutionary path. ES have really nothing purely unique that we havent seen before and this is a good thing. It builds on tested concepts, on stable ground.

With that said, having not to invent the weel again, ES can now concentrate on taking this concept to the next level. Adding new content, unique or not, and perhaps fill a new niche.

Yep, development/improvement is kinda evolution smiley: biggrin
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment