Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Real time battle initiating in turn based game?

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Jun 27, 2012, 7:01:30 PM
I had an enemy fleet on my system, and I move some damaged ships from my fleet into my hanger intending to replace them with undamaged ships. The AI instantly engaged in battle because of the smaller fleet. I was really surprised by that and lost a bunch of ships. A turn based game, should probably be turn based, but instead you have to be quick to intercept scouts and your enemy can take advantage you reorganizing fleets. This is just a bit strange and not very intuitive.

It would be nice if that could be changed somehow, but maybe not at this point in development. Ideally I think you should just queue battles and maybe movement, and then everything gets handled at the end of the turn. Or at least, your opponents shouldn't be able to see what you're doing until the end.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 27, 2012, 7:07:31 PM
It takes some getting used to, but I don't think Endless Space is the typical turn based game. Yes, there are turns, but it isn't seperated into Player 1's turn, end, Player 2's turn, end, etc. It's kind of a mix between TRS and turn-based, and everyone is playing at once in a turn, there's just a limit on how much you can do (ships can only go so far, it takes turns, not time, to build things, and so on).

At this point in development, I really doubt much of a change will be seen here. It is unfortunate, in cases like your's, but it's how the game is.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 27, 2012, 7:41:41 PM
FinalStrigon wrote:
It takes some getting used to, but I don't think Endless Space is the typical turn based game. Yes, there are turns, but it isn't seperated into Player 1's turn, end, Player 2's turn, end, etc. It's kind of a mix between TRS and turn-based, and everyone is playing at once in a turn, there's just a limit on how much you can do (ships can only go so far, it takes turns, not time, to build things, and so on).

At this point in development, I really doubt much of a change will be seen here. It is unfortunate, in cases like your's, but it's how the game is.

Yeah, I figured it wouldn't change at this point. There are a few simple things that would reduce the problem for this specific case though. Maybe just the AI doesn't take advantage of it. Human players wouldn't be able to notice the momentary weakness, but the AI does.

The timing with movement and battles reminds me of a board game. It's ok. It's just a bit weird.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 28, 2012, 6:48:35 AM
Changing the simultaneous movement system to truly turn based was already implicitly suggested along with the "play by email"-suggestion. It is necessarily impossible to play simultaneous turns by e-mail: /#/endless-space/forum/28-game-design/thread/13091-play-by-email

But I haven't found a thread explicitly wanting to only abolish the simultaneous movement or it's just too early in the morning.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 28, 2012, 1:50:01 PM
I like the idea of playing by email. Its a shame the Devs have ruled it out. I played Stars! by email years ago and it was superb fun. Obviously we all have super fast internet connections these days that enable everyone to play against others in real time but I am sure there are still many who would appreciate playing by email and dont want to or cant dedicate a fixed slot every day for goodness knows how long to play a game. The good thing about email is you can do your turn when you want to any time of the day and post it on. I don't think the Devs really appreciate the reasons for some people wanting this added.

And as most people, if not practically everyone, don't like the simultaneous movement idea I would say that more than enough reasons to change the design to a normal turn based game.

Same with the combat - if loads of people want the timers removed bloody well remove them for godsake. Stop bandying around the bush!!! Or at least extend the timescale for selecting the cards. I have to say I am strongly with the others who do not really like being under pressure to select combat type and cards. And its absolutely dire that I cannot watch the start of the combat because I am trying to select all my cards. That is pants. Need to select cards on a pre-screen then enter combat please.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 28, 2012, 3:05:52 PM
I agree that a time limit is not ideal. However, I want to make sure people realize how to study the cards in advance. If you select a fleet in the lower left corner of the galaxy view, there is a button which says "Battle Actions". If you click that button, you get a dialog which shows all the cards. So, if you are not familiar with the cards or you want to plan a particular strategy for the fleet, you can spend as long as you want there.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 28, 2012, 3:38:23 PM
nats wrote:
I like the idea of playing by email. Its a shame the Devs have ruled it out. I played Stars! by email years ago and it was superb fun. Obviously we all have super fast internet connections these days that enable everyone to play against others in real time but I am sure there are still many who would appreciate playing by email and dont want to or cant dedicate a fixed slot every day for goodness knows how long to play a game. The good thing about email is you can do your turn when you want to any time of the day and post it on. I don't think the Devs really appreciate the reasons for some people wanting this added.

And as most people, if not practically everyone, don't like the simultaneous movement idea I would say that more than enough reasons to change the design to a normal turn based game.

Same with the combat - if loads of people want the timers removed bloody well remove them for godsake. Stop bandying around the bush!!! Or at least extend the timescale for selecting the cards. I have to say I am strongly with the others who do not really like being under pressure to select combat type and cards. And its absolutely dire that I cannot watch the start of the combat because I am trying to select all my cards. That is pants. Need to select cards on a pre-screen then enter combat please.

Changing the simultaneous movement isn't going to happen, not with the game releasing in just under a week. And I don't think a normal turn-based system would work in this kind of game. Turns can already take long enough with everyone doing their turn at once...Do you really want to see how long game will take if everything gets broken down by player?

And, like davea said, you can study cards before hand so you know right away what main three to pick. I have my opening three memorized, and have them selected in more than enough time to watch the intro scenes before the long range phase. Selecting cards in combat, not in some pre-battle menu, also gives you the chance to change your second and third cards should you need to suddenly switch to defense, or the first round went better than expected and you can put in an extra attack round.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 22, 2012, 3:00:16 PM
I hope that Problem comes to the next G2G Vote.

In the current Vote it seems the Battle Queue will lost.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment