Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Suggestion: reduce ships' upkeep when inside the hangar

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Nov 26, 2012, 1:13:23 AM
I doesn't make sense to keep paying ship upkeep if they are not using fuel and being crewed. So ship upkeep should be greatly reduced when inside the hangar.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Nov 27, 2012, 7:47:58 PM
I agree! I thought this was how it worked until I checked it out a week or so ago. When the ships aren't being used they should have a reduced cost, maybe 50%?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Nov 27, 2012, 8:11:51 PM
StriderV wrote:
I agree! I thought this was how it worked until I checked it out a week or so ago. When the ships aren't being used they should have a reduced cost, maybe 50%?

mothballed or "parked" ships should definitely require significantly less upkeep. However, perhaps their health should degrade over time until they are gone i.e. they have died of old age and lack of use...?
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Nov 27, 2012, 10:46:49 PM
n18991c wrote:
mothballed or "parked" ships should definitely require significantly less upkeep. However, perhaps their health should degrade over time until they are gone i.e. they have died of old age and lack of use...?

Less upkeep: yay

Die from age : ney

-EXP might work too, yeah.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Nov 28, 2012, 12:19:54 PM
sergioj wrote:
I doesn't make sense to keep paying ship upkeep if they are not using fuel and being crewed. So ship upkeep should be greatly reduced when inside the hangar.

I would be all for this with one restriction.

Ships cannot be launched from a hangar if an enemy fleet is blockading the system.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Nov 28, 2012, 1:04:42 PM
Launching from the hangar could cost X movement points or X% of movement points.

One issue with applying any penalty to ships in the hangar (and that includes my suggestion as well) is that newly created ships are automatically placed in the hangar. Particularly with Shivetya's suggestion above this could cause issues, as a system would be unable to raise a fleet to lift its own blockade.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Nov 28, 2012, 1:19:28 PM
Shivetya wrote:
I would be all for this with one restriction.

Ships cannot be launched from a hangar if an enemy fleet is blockading the system.

Personally I think that's a really bad idea as the game doesn't have any other way of building system defenses, so that could lead to 'easy' walkovers by simply sending 1 ship to all enemy colonies and blockading them, thus preventing them from fielding any ships at all.

Reduction in health - no, as ships are easier to repair when docked, not harder.

XP: Maybe - that would avoid experienced ships being mothballed.

Much rather, I'd use a system called "combat readyness" which applies a combat penalty to ships that come out of a hangar for a period of 3 turns. Just enough for it to matter when fighting on otherwise equal terms. This would compensate for the choice of saving in upkeep costs and create a little depth to the decision making process.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Nov 29, 2012, 8:22:57 PM
I'm in favour of reduced cost while in hangars, with a slight reduction in XP per turn. The penalty for "combat readiness" is interesting but I think it should be reduced to just 1 turn to penalize people holding massive quantities of ships in their hangars for defence.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Nov 29, 2012, 11:03:47 PM
I would like to see ships in hanger use 50% of their upkeep and repair at 10% / turn

I dont want them to lose xp/die
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 1, 2012, 12:09:25 PM
I also thought this was the way it worked until I tested it to make sure. I would like to see some kinda reward for having ships docked up since currently it seems only useful in hiding numbers. Do you get a healing boost in dock?
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment