Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Fields around star systems

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Jan 7, 2013, 3:43:22 PM
Hi guys,

regarding CIV i'm missing areas surrounding colonized star systems where i can build or investigate something.

To be a bit more specific: I mean those fields around a city in CIV where you can build roads, farms and so on.

Here in ES i would suggest the option to build an orbital (weapon/science) station, mining/colonizing existing asteroids/moons and so on.

This would be an addition to the usual planetary buildings/improvements.

I believe this would improve the strategy factor and add more soul to the game (because some people say ES is soulless).

What do you think?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jan 7, 2013, 6:36:29 PM
I like it . Always wanted the ability to do something more with systems in general like building outposts(science, commerce, military ones). Now the empty space around systems dont know for sure what may benefit them besides more anomalys like nebulas.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jan 7, 2013, 6:44:02 PM
Satellites in the same way as the alpha centauri game would be cool

(A repeatable improvement building, but you can only use as many as there are population to sustain them)
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jan 7, 2013, 7:52:12 PM
Nomas wrote:
Now the empty space around systems dont know for sure what may benefit them besides more anomalys like nebulas.

Well on empty space you could build something, for example a sensor phalanx to increase the range, a stationary canon or battle station to increase the system's defense or maybe offense, a shipyard to boost the ship production of your system, and so much more...

... maybe a death star smiley: wink

I know that i don't have any skills in painting, but i wanted to visualize what i'm thinking of:

Full resoultion: here

What about replacing the network with a hexagon grid.

Then you can build "roads" to travel faster through the universe.

And you can add anomalies like asteroids as "landscape" everywhere.

In the free space you could build space stations.

Well, like CIV:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5371[/ATTACH]

Full resolution: here
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jan 13, 2013, 3:08:19 PM
im not opposed to the idea as a gameplay system in general but the issue I have is that ES just isnt designed for tiles like this.

In civ you draw all your production from the supporting tiles (mines, rivers, whatever) but in ES everything comes from improvement buildings in the initial tile (the system itself). All this suggestion would do without fundamental redesign of the game is add additional things to click on to build as improvements and raise the max FIDS in a system, which I believe tends to be too high in the end game anyway. Does having 2300 production instead of 2100 production really add anything 'fun' to the game? Its just more of the same.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jan 13, 2013, 3:57:31 PM
I see your point, but i think this would add some 'fun' to the game due to new buildings/options to build/activate.

The fact that you have to use tiles in CIV, their advantages and disadvantages, results in a unique gaming experience.

Everytime you start a new game in CIV you have a different map, different starting position, and so on.

Here in ES you just colonize everything around you which is connected by the network.

There is no nebula with damage over time on a great system you want to conquer.

No possibility to build a starbase to defend your system in the orbit.

And i know that this concept would requiry a big redesign.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment