Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Larger weapons and shields on larger ships[related to ship power plants]

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Jan 15, 2013, 4:16:06 AM
*In the case that I unintentionally duplicated any similar topic, my honest apologies*

----

This suggestion will be about mounting larger weapons on larger ships.

This suggestion is related to the power plants I suggested earlier.

----

We have small ships; destroyers, corvettes and transports. Then we have the big ships; cruisers, battleships and dreadnoughts.

And we have noticed, that the big ships can mount just the same weapons as the small ships, and the small ships can mount just the same weapons as the big ships. Notice that this can be ridiculous?

Why can't big ships mount really heavy weaponry? Like a cannon the size of a corvette or at least close to the size of a transport? Why are dreadnoughts limited to the same weapons of destroyers? Cannot the dreadnought, with it's size, power, tonnage and strength, carry something far more sinister than what a destroyer can carry?

Larger ships should be able to carry something small ships cannot, just as small ships have the advantage of cheap production, low dust costs and numbers. In short, since large ships aren't economical already, why not give them something that really gives them an edge? Like much more powerful shields, far more powerful guns, and hangar bays(as many have suggested).

But then, what will prevent the small ships to mount the powerful weapons and shields? Power supply perhaps?

This in turn is related to the power plants I have suggested earlier; the power supply limits the capacity of smaller ships to mount weapons that have higher power requirements. Power requirements are affected by ship tonnage, therefore still allowing smaller ships to mount mega guns and mega shields, but they have such modules in limited quantities, not to mention they become less economical.

Also, if ever considered, make the larger weapons and shields unique, like for example:

I.Weapon Module

Beam Turret lvl.1

-three beam cards for the tonnage of one beam card

-30 power required

There are as many options as the many posts requesting about such weapons, however I notice that they didn't put limits to it, thereby allow smaller ships to take such modules, more or less.

----

This post will be related to my new upcoming posts.

The next post will be about my brand new redesigned frigate(my specific frigate).

----
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jan 16, 2013, 6:59:03 PM
One thing that I think would be a strong module or two to add.

Modules that, under this principle, can only apply to the larger ships and help negate some of the problem in larger ships not being able to shoot more than one target.

For this: Reinforced Plating (or some similar name): Damage received from each successful attack is reduced by X%. Thus, larger, more powerful weapons would be better to use against large ships using these modules, whereas these would help balance fleets of larger ships against swarms of destroyers.

Meanwhile, you add the larger weapons that have fewer shots but do more damage.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jan 17, 2013, 12:12:25 AM
There are a lot possibilities, one such is your Reinforced Plating. Since Armor in the game really isn't armor but HP, Reinforced Plating can function as true armor.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment