Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Please make diplomatic offers re-negotiatable rather than just yes/no

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Jul 17, 2012, 4:36:02 PM
Comment: I accidentally created this thread in the design discussion forum here, so I've now re-created the thread now here in the game design proposals area. Should a Mod see the other one, please close it.

Hi all,

Although I addressed this issue before (somewhere, can't remember though where/when), I see that it still has not made it into the game, so I wanted to ask you all what your opinion is on the following:

Often when I play I notice that a faction comes and makes me a diplomatic offer which I'm simply unwilling to accept in the form in which it comes. However, there unfortunately is no option to re-negotiate diplomatic offers and you can only chose between yes and no.

But when a faction, say, comes begging for peace, then it shouldn't just be yes or no; it should allow for a yes, but only if you also hand over a tech, system etc...

That's only fair, since real diplomacy means giving and taking, right? Because why should I have to grant peace without getting something for it? Call it reparations!

What do you think?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 17, 2012, 4:44:27 PM
smiley: approval Ability to Negotiate Terms

Would be nice, instead of having to decline and then re-offer...
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 17, 2012, 5:12:44 PM
exactly. Besides, being the one who's requesting something always puts you at a sligh disadvantage and one should really be able to not just accept cease-fires but also to say "yes, I accept your request for a ceasfire, but only in return for x or y"!
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 2, 2012, 1:43:54 PM
Sort of reviving this old thread of mine, but it still really annoys me when I can't re-negotiate offers made to me by the AI because they are either (1) absurd or (2) just slightly imperfect in terms of what I would find acceptable.

Please, Devs, do something about that, it can't be THAT difficult right? I understand that you have your hands full with all the stuff that still needs tweaking, but if you wish to improve diplomacy then I suggest you get this done, because it's pathetically annoying.

ok, rant over.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 2, 2012, 1:49:24 PM
Thumbs up on this one. Reminds me of the system used by other games, like Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri, or even Civilisation. It makes sense to be able to renegotiate the terms - and might even prevent hostility coming from saying "No, no, NO!" all the time.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 3, 2012, 8:56:21 PM
Sounds good to me.

More realistic, and saves the player trouble compared to renegotiating from scratch.
0Send private message
0Send private message0Send private message0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 6, 2012, 4:04:36 AM
I would have to agree that this is a needed feature as well. It would certainly add depth, and improve quality of life in the game.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 6, 2012, 6:23:52 PM
i agree with this idea. Also, why in the world would AI not agree to a technology exchange when the research points are equal? I never understood that.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 12, 2013, 4:32:24 AM
smiley: approval

Just reviving this thread instead of creating a new one about the same subject.

I'd really love to be able to (attempt to) re-negotiate the terms of a trade.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 12, 2013, 4:34:09 PM
I'd have to give it a +1 as well.

However, I'm kind of more than annoyed that BASIC functionality like this isn't in the game on launch. smiley: twisted
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 13, 2013, 10:07:20 PM
I guess we don't really know how basic it is to implement, for the computer players to make comparative decisions like that on the fly - but the fact that you can somewhat negotiate with them when *you* make the trade indicates that it shouldn't be too hard, right?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 14, 2013, 1:25:22 PM
tali3sin wrote:
I guess we don't really know how basic it is to implement, for the computer players to make comparative decisions like that on the fly - but the fact that you can somewhat negotiate with them when *you* make the trade indicates that it shouldn't be too hard, right?

I see where you're coming from, I don't know either if it's easy or difficult to implement. All I know is I can't wait till they do it because I often find myself thinking "not quite acceptable" and then regret being unable to tweak the deal....
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment