I read through the summary of suggestions but didn't spot this, if it's been suggested before then apologies if I'm repeating things.

My suggestion is to have something which affects what I would term 'closing speed'. It would affect how long a battle phase duration lasts. Currently ship builds can be optimised for different phases, this would allow an additional strategic element which would help or hinder this optimisation by increasing or decreasing the time (or moves?) in a phase and so the amount of time during which your ship(s) are at an advantage or a disadvantage.

I think there is a set quantity time / moves? (I'm not sure if this is correct) for each phase, this could be the variable which is altered.

From what I've thought about this so far I could see this being implemented as a new type or types of card in the existing card system or as a separate addition to the battle interface.

It could also be changed with each phase of the battle, or could be only one strategy for the entire battle (I'd prefer 1 strategy per phase).

for example:

A ship with missiles and projectile weapons would want to delay closing during the first and last phases (in order to prolong the time in phase) but would want to increase closing during the middle phase.

A ship with energy and projectile weapons would want to increase closing during the first phase (to reduce the time in phase) but delay closing in the middle and last phases.

This would allow strategies to counteract one another and to complement one another, adding another dimension to the battles.