Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Question/request

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Mar 3, 2013, 11:37:58 AM
hello ppl

dont know if this is the right subforum nor it already got suggested.

why dont we have either buildings or shipts that are more or less stationary and function as defenseplatforms in a system. the enemys would have to kill them to start invasion?

cant remember a similar game which ddidnt have this kind of defense
0Send private message
12 years ago
Mar 3, 2013, 2:42:53 PM
Why have a stationary defence when you can equip space stations with FTL engines? smiley: stickouttongue
0Send private message
12 years ago
Mar 6, 2013, 2:52:37 AM
Because you don't need to spend money on engines because it is stationary. If I want to defend, say New York, I don't need navigation and engines to move it to Raleigh. I either remove that to save money or pour more money into more weapons and defense.

Bunkers aren't mobile, but tanks are smiley: smile
0Send private message
12 years ago
Mar 6, 2013, 9:33:26 AM
Engines on ships are free, so really why not defend New York with tanks covered in concrete?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Mar 8, 2013, 5:42:34 AM
Even if engines are free, you can think about something like a support module that prevents the ship from moving (or reduce the speed of the ship to 1) and give some nice boost (More tonnage as the engine is not physically present or less powerfull or a +% something for the weapons/accuracy as you have now more power to boost your weapons.

Reducing the speed seems better than cutting it as the ships keeps the same skin in battle (And moves during this phase).

But it's quite the same choice as "Do I add an engine to my ship or more weapons ?". But can be nice for defensive purpose.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Mar 8, 2013, 6:21:14 AM
Nothing is stopping a player from camping their fleet on their systems for defense and they have the added luxury of movement. If there where stationary defenses an upkeep that costs a little less or more (depending on what it is packing) would be necessary.

The community wants a way to defend their systems from invasion or damage opposing fleet without a fleet of their own top of it. This is a reoccurring issue and question that may be solved with fighters/bombers.

Perhaps giving individual planets a slot (like a planetary improvement) to house a squadron of fighters/bombers. Depending on how the devs work it out, system improvements can be used to increase the number of slots to house squadrons. These would be used to defend the planet when (or if) the time come to. These could also be transferred on to command ships and used in battle or invade themselves.

The devs where already asking for fighter/bomber specs so they could possibly incorporate a system like this instead of fleets "repairing" squadrons in space. However, fighters/bombers (I'm assuming) need a pilot and breeding & training on a warship in space my not be ideal. Perhaps "manned" squadrons produced by planets would have an edge in battle compared to drones until a certain tech is researched.

Just my 2 cents

-Tainted
0Send private message
12 years ago
Mar 8, 2013, 6:50:10 AM
Tainted wrote:
Nothing is stopping a player from camping their fleet on their systems for defense and they have the added luxury of movement. If there where stationary defenses an upkeep that costs a little less or more (depending on what it is packing) would be necessary.

The community wants a way to defend their systems from invasion or damage opposing fleet without a fleet of their own top of it. This is a reoccurring issue and question that may be solved with fighters/bombers.

Perhaps giving individual planets a slot (like a planetary improvement) to house a squadron of fighters/bombers. Depending on how the devs work it out, system improvements can be used to increase the number of slots to house squadrons. These would be used to defend the planet when (or if) the time come to. These could also be transferred on to command ships and used in battle or invade themselves.

The devs where already asking for fighter/bomber specs so they could possibly incorporate a system like this instead of fleets "repairing" squadrons in space. However, fighters/bombers (I'm assuming) need a pilot and breeding & training on a warship in space my not be ideal. Perhaps "manned" squadrons produced by planets would have an edge in battle compared to drones until a certain tech is researched.

Just my 2 cents

-Tainted

I do agree with this, drone AI's will be inferior for a while, but if they add drones (and the AI's for them) why not add ai for industry as well? Maybe more efficient production? Just some benefits for adding squadrons (and drones if they do) smiley: stickouttongue. And don't worry about adding your username/nickname, we can see it smiley: biggrin but if you're used to it, it's fine XDDD
0Send private message
12 years ago
Mar 8, 2013, 11:31:28 AM
I don't really like this idea. In the end there is already a way to defend your system from ships: ships.

Adding another system that does exactly the same thing doesn't do anything except add complexity for the sake of complexity. For balance reasons, fleets would always have to beat stationary planetary defenses of similar tech levels, because if they didn't it'd be impossible to conquer anything and the game would grind to a halt. That means you're still going to need fleets to guard your planets.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Mar 12, 2013, 3:14:57 PM
It adds space stations, something present in science fiction that some people would like to see added to a great science fiction game.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment