Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Galactic Council

Sure !
Nah, it would'nt add anything interesting.
Vote now
Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Dec 4, 2012, 4:26:41 PM
Forming a council might be cool.

But starting with one is beyond sense, because they are filthy pink skinned Xenos!

overall? No.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Mar 30, 2013, 9:18:46 PM
Nasarog wrote:
YES. I absolutely agree. For a first post, you hit the nail on the head.

Doesn't have to be for the MP game. This could be a mechanic for the SP, because not all of us play MP. I would venture to guess that most of us don't. I know I don't. Not because I do not want to play MP, but because I play when I get a chance, and it's usually at odd hours and sometimes I get to play for a long block, but most times it feels like PBM/PBE vs the comp.

Haha well, I haven't done much multi either, but what about for people who do? And without the alternative galaxy generator, I think the maps would be too small for 8 empires as well.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Mar 30, 2013, 2:03:32 PM
blip99 wrote:
First post, been a long time forum stalker though :P

I do like this idea, but i think that one of two things have to happen before it is interesting enough to be in the game:

1. More factions have to be present in game, so not just 8 allowed to play at once (be a bit boring with a council of eight)

or 2. Implement lots of minor (unplayable?) 1-2 system factions that you can influence and use to form galactic coalitions or trade federations (hehe too much starwars lately...)

YES. I absolutely agree. For a first post, you hit the nail on the head.

stasik28 wrote:
Imagine playing with more than 8 people mate, end game system managing, 2-3 people waiting like 10 minutes for the rest to finish the turn lol

Doesn't have to be for the MP game. This could be a mechanic for the SP, because not all of us play MP. I would venture to guess that most of us don't. I know I don't. Not because I do not want to play MP, but because I play when I get a chance, and it's usually at odd hours and sometimes I get to play for a long block, but most times it feels like PBM/PBE vs the comp.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Mar 30, 2013, 1:07:37 PM
eleazzaar wrote:
I enjoyed the "council" in Alpha Centauri, but i haven't really liked the implementation in other 4X games i've played. This kind of feature can easily end up being dull, if not done just right. Alpha Centauri gave you the opportunity to try to "buy" votes before voting officially started, which gave a bit more depth to the thing.

So my vote would be, if that choice were offered, "it depends..."

I agree with this... too many councils of this type are boring and don't really add anything to the respective games.

If your ally chooses to go to war, and you don't like it, you can always leave the alliance...

However, as most folk seem to want it, if it's implemented, can we, please, have a button in setup to leave it out of the game.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Mar 30, 2013, 9:13:32 AM
blip99 wrote:

I do like this idea, but i think that one of two things have to happen before it is interesting enough to be in the game:

1. More factions have to be present in game, so not just 8 allowed to play at once (be a bit boring with a council of eight)

or 2. Implement lots of minor (unplayable?) 1-2 system factions that you can influence and use to form galactic coalitions or trade federations (hehe too much starwars lately...)

Imagine playing with more than 8 people mate, end game system managing, 2-3 people waiting like 10 minutes for the rest to finish the turn lol
0Send private message
12 years ago
Mar 30, 2013, 3:49:44 AM
This idea is approved smiley: approval by me. It might make diplomacy in the game feels alot better.

Troodon wrote:
2. How would this affect players who simply want to conquer the galaxy instead of negotiating for it?

These players that want war instead of diplomacy would simply deny to join the Council. They wouldn't have the diplomatic benefits that the Council may have to offer, though.

Stealth_Hawk wrote:
This would be nice. When an ally declares war and you don't want to go to war, you can try to vote it down using the counsel instead of just leaving the alliance. smiley: approval

This is exactly why I like this idea of adding a Galactic Council to the game. As I mentioned before, it will make diplomacy something more interesting and usefull.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Mar 30, 2013, 3:32:00 AM

0Send private message
12 years ago
Mar 27, 2013, 1:18:34 PM
Love it. Council is the one thing I miss the most from master of orion days. I'm hoping one day we can see this in ES.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 10, 2012, 5:05:53 PM
When I saw this thread, my 1st though of what a galactic council would look like was the one in Star Wars. That big ball room with the floating platforms was pretty cool.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 9, 2012, 5:29:48 PM
Sounds nice, but there are a few issues:

1. It might wind up creating a "good vs evil" effect in the game. Keep in mind that the Hissho, UE, and Cravers probably wouldn't be interested in joining. Horatio is a maybe. Either way, the result is that the council consists of the "good guys."

2. How would this affect players who simply want to conquer the galaxy instead of negotiating for it?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 8, 2012, 3:01:29 PM
Would be nice to have more interactions with other species. Diplo so far is pretty boring and i just tend to conquer all anyway. A Council might improve more peace loving aproches.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 5, 2012, 10:52:15 AM
The council would work after all races have made contact with each other. Buying votes before would be nice also smiley: twisted

Now voting could include decisions like Free Trade - adds 50% income from trade routes on each system or the opposite Controlled Trading which havles trade for example. Or Embargo against a race that is accused for atrocities (like bombing a planet back to the Stone Age). Or after restoring an Endless Wonder forced to get half bonus and share the rest with other races for the common good, just saying smiley: cool
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 4, 2012, 7:36:44 PM
I would like to see something like that implemented, I'm just not sure about how it should be done
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 3, 2012, 8:58:18 PM
Hey everyone.

I wanted to post a little something about one of the features in Galactic Civilizations 2 (not sure about the first ep ) that i found really interesting, not only as a gameplay enhancer but also as a very immersive way to add politics concern in ES.

Not sure how much work it would represent to add such a feature ingame, nor if gamers other than me would find it useful, that's why i created a poll about it.

For those who don't even see what I'm talking about, I'm adding a screen where you can see it. Just know that it was concils taken every once in a while between every nations on that map that took decisions about kind of a mutual politic, fair trade between civs, ....

Pic : http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/9114/lp0420damnit.png
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 4, 2012, 1:53:34 AM
As soon as the game gets something said council would need to cast a vote on, sure.

Right now? No. We already have alliances.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 4, 2012, 1:28:00 AM
eleazzaar wrote:
I enjoyed the "council" in Alpha Centauri, but i haven't really liked the implementation in other 4X games i've played. This kind of feature can easily end up being dull, if not done just right. Alpha Centauri gave you the opportunity to try to "buy" votes before voting officially started, which gave a bit more depth to the thing.

Exactly. Like everything all other suggestions, it has to fit with the theme of the game; which may or may be difficult with this suggestion.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 3, 2012, 10:48:26 PM

0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 3, 2012, 10:39:48 PM
StriderV wrote:
I'm in agreement of this. But, I think there are a few different implementations that are being discussed here. Anything to increase diplomacy would be good, I think, but I would really like to be able to vote on "laws" that affect all factions. Also, you should be able to reject any ruling with appropriate diplomatic consequences.

Laws and veto-ing will be a major part of it imo. Be able to create laws for raising or lowering taxes on certain goods, veto against certain war declarations, laws, and trade sanctions, or anything else in that matter.

Maybe even kick someone out of the alliance, which sounds messed up lol.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 3, 2012, 10:35:04 PM
I'm in agreement of this. But, I think there are a few different implementations that are being discussed here. Anything to increase diplomacy would be good, I think, but I would really like to be able to vote on "laws" that affect all factions. Also, you should be able to reject any ruling with appropriate diplomatic consequences.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 3, 2012, 10:30:12 PM
Could add more diplomacy in the game. Reminds of me of the Twilight Imperium board game (and MOO ofc)
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 3, 2012, 9:46:50 PM
This would be nice. When an ally declares war and you don't want to go to war, you can try to vote it down using the counsel instead of just leaving the alliance. smiley: approval
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 3, 2012, 9:26:38 PM
Kantharr wrote:
Might be useful as a reminder if the players are all talking on Teamspeak or any other program like that.

Mhm, maybe smiley: biggrin
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 3, 2012, 9:25:35 PM
Tredecim wrote:
Well, this might be useful for MP maybe?

Might be useful as a reminder if the players are all talking on Teamspeak or any other program like that.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 3, 2012, 9:08:37 PM
That sounds like the Orion Senate in Master of Orion but I would really love that to be in the game. I feel like that even though I join an alliance (or create one) I'm not really doing anything significant besides having everyone declare war on a race that is not part of our alliance.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment