Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

SUGGESTION: New trait(s): Research focus.

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Mar 25, 2013, 5:13:00 AM
I suggest adding 4 new traits, reducing the research cost of one tree by 10/20/30% and increasing the cost of the other trees by the same amount. This would support specific styles of play for a standard (if added to one) or custom race. 30% might be a little too much, and the science victory tech should be excluded.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Mar 25, 2013, 8:09:15 AM
Interesting idea.

But I think the maluses for the other tech trees should be lower. Maybe the half of what you get for the specialized tree.

Should it be a malus (get points in race editor) or bonus (cost points)?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Mar 25, 2013, 9:45:38 AM
Lord_S wrote:
Interesting idea.

But I think the maluses for the other tech trees should be lower. Maybe the half of what you get for the specialized tree.

Should it be a malus (get points in race editor) or bonus (cost points)?

Yeah, good idea. Bonus is better, maybe?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Mar 25, 2013, 11:36:35 AM
Well science oriented races are extremely overpowered (according to rants on the Sophons) so I'm not sure how I feel about this...
0Send private message
12 years ago
Mar 25, 2013, 6:56:42 PM
If taking a specialization therefore MAKEs you have an equal penalty in the other trees, then it would be a malus overall (-10%x3 in exchange for only +10%). Or, you could separate them out and make players able to pick bonus or malus on each individual tree.

I like the idea in general. And, would probably like whichever method of implementation is used.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Apr 8, 2013, 4:16:39 AM
Sorry, I was quite busy during the last week(s). The percentage of course needs balancing. I thought the trait should be a bonus, because specialization often ist an advantage. That's why I initially made the penalties quite high. In general it would have to be balanced with how strong you actually make those traits.

Other variants could be that you pair up trees, and going for a bonus in one only gives you a penalty in one other tree. Maybe handling different research tree differently might be necessary, so going for a bonus in the research tree will only give you 7/14/20% reduction, doing the same in the weapons tree might give you 13/26/40%. I just feel there is not enough diversity in how you play the different (custom) factions...
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment