Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Better UI ideas

Copied to clipboard!
0Send private message
11 years ago
Apr 22, 2013, 11:10:29 PM
Just started playing. Agree with the star map item definitely.

One thing I'm trying to figure out is when another alliance makes an offer to me, I have the You on the left and on the right. But....is it I GET or I GIVE on the left? PLENTY of space for the extra word in here and it would make a huge difference.

Since I can't find the answer via Google, I'm about to find out the hard way by clicking on it and seeing if it's a really sweet deal for me or if I'm about to get hosed.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jan 15, 2013, 2:49:36 PM
Ya, things are tiny.

Pretty much agree with everything.

Id like larger fleet/dock-bay icon.... in fact i want a seperate icon for the docking-bay if i got a ship in there.

I wouldn't mind having systems larger as well (perharps even more graphic showing the planets orbiting the sun.. perhaps even large enough to see the moons).
0Send private message
0Send private message0Send private message
12 years ago
Jan 9, 2013, 5:17:06 PM
I 100% agree with the OP on point #1 - this is a big pain in the rear. I miss-click frequently.

Also thoroughly agree with Tank7 and treizoz.

Generally, it would be great if the tooltips acted more like menus - when I hover over diplomacy and see someone I want to talk to, I'd like to be able to just click on them there, rather than dive through the UI levels.

Also, in looking closer at the UI, I just discovered how to at least get a % feel for Victory Progress...sweet!
0Send private message
0Send private message0Send private message0Send private message
12 years ago
Jan 2, 2013, 9:43:33 AM
Hi guys,

i just started playing Endless Space, but i know some other games very well.

I really like the game so far, but i have some issues with the interface.

1) The star systems are displayed on the map too small, so it is hard to click on them for travelling ships. Also the background (picture) is a bit confusing regarding whether it's a star system or a background star.

My idea: Make the star system/sun bigger and add the possibility to change/disable the background (e.g. make it black).

2) I'm missing a permanent overview about my colonized star systems (i don't want to click every turn on that icon at the top left corner).

My idea: A sidebar which displays all the systems and the particular productions, so you can easily see, that some systems are doing nothing.

3) I'm missing a permanent icon about "doing nothing" regarding research, production and fleets.

My idea: New icon (red) at the bottom right corner indicating if there is something idle.

4) Insufficient information in general:

My idea: Add more tooltips for example when you want to add your 4th hero, but your academy only allows 3. There should be a tooltip telling you which technology you need to increase that amount. Or when you want to merge more ships to a fleet than allowed. There should also be a tooltip helping you and not only a warning sign with no further information.

I believe that these suggestions are extremely helpful not only for beginners like me.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jan 4, 2013, 9:34:40 AM
Nice suggestions, here are some that I think about every game I play :

- in the system view, show more improvements icons at once without scrolling. There is plenty of space here.

- more informations about techs when you are trading some in the negociation screen.

- tooltips about factions in the diplomacy screen

- in empire screen, when clicking on the population of a system, planets are shown at the bottom... tooltip there to show at least planet type.

- showing in a way or another in system view, the total fids per population unit of planets.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jan 4, 2013, 8:39:11 AM
Tank7 wrote:
Dust Reserve, Dust Net Change, and Research Points

I agree with this one.

There is enough space for more information!
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jan 3, 2013, 7:22:24 PM
add hud elements for setting planetary rally points for newly constructed ships.

Additionally it could be useful to have a "launch all ships in hanger" (empire wide) button.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jan 3, 2013, 5:07:01 PM
Good suggestions!

Speaking of UI, the one thing that has bothered me since day one is that i can`t jump to a system without entering the planetary view. I would like to know where on the galaxy map the system that i`m going to improve is! This is getting bothersome at mid/late game when you have more than 15-20 systems.

(If there allready is a button/way to jump to a system without entering it, please let me know) :P
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jan 3, 2013, 3:48:13 PM
I have one really tiny UI suggestion that I think should be taken very seriously. When you are in the galaxy screen, it shows you how much dust you have, but not the projected +/- change in your treasury, and it should do this. It should also show how many research points you are making. These 3 values - Dust Reserve, Dust Net Change, and Research Points are always displayed in Master of Orion 2's galaxy screen and I use them all the time every time when I play. Do not rage on me about how this is not Moo2, I am talking a tiny tiny UI change and nothing to do with game balance, mechanics, or theme. It is especially tiny if you run the game at a nice resolution. In ES i find myself going in and out of the Empire Screen just to see my Net Dust for a second, and this is annoying.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jan 3, 2013, 7:14:49 AM
2. Let me explain it to you (all). If there would be a permanent sidebar with the actual production (queue) of your systems, maybe including the food/science/production/dust income, then you would easily see an idle system and one-click a new production. In the actual game i get a symbol every turn about production in general, where i have to click on a system that is idle, changing the production, and clicking again on the production symbol to get to another idle system, and so on.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jan 2, 2013, 8:10:52 PM
Morvagor wrote:
Hi guys,

i just started playing Endless Space, but i know some other games very well.

I really like the game so far, but i have some issues with the interface.

1) The star systems are displayed on the map too small, so it is hard to click on them for travelling ships. Also the background (picture) is a bit confusing regarding whether it's a star system or a background star.

My idea: Make the star system/sun bigger and add the possibility to change/disable the background (e.g. make it black).

2) I'm missing a permanent overview about my colonized star systems (i don't want to click every turn on that icon at the top left corner).

My idea: A sidebar which displays all the systems and the particular productions, so you can easily see, that some systems are doing nothing.

3) I'm missing a permanent icon about "doing nothing" regarding research, production and fleets.

My idea: New icon (red) at the bottom right corner indicating if there is something idle.

4) Insufficient information in general:

My idea: Add more tooltips for example when you want to add your 4th hero, but your academy only allows 3. There should be a tooltip telling you which technology you need to increase that amount. Or when you want to merge more ships to a fleet than allowed. There should also be a tooltip helping you and not only a warning sign with no further information.

I believe that these suggestions are extremely helpful not only for beginners like me.

Agree with one, and want to add that the hangar and ships are also too small and easily misclickable.

2. Would this only show what is currently being built? I don't really see how this would be that much more useful.

3. Yes, or a row of icons about what is idle lined up alongside the idle ships icon.

4. Agreed, tooltips for missing techs have been getting requested a lot by the community and I wouldn't be surprised if they throw them in.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment