Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Just a matter of aesthetics

Copied to clipboard!
11 years ago
Jul 28, 2013, 7:33:16 PM
Its entirly minor, but it would be nice for each player to have a different set of skins to cover their ships while in manual combat mode, that way if your playing the united emipire and your facing another united empire, you just have a better idea of whos ships just exploded. it doesn't have to be anything major, like if your the red player you get a red racing stripe or some sort of panels that color.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 28, 2013, 7:59:28 PM
Oh yes, been asking for something like this for a very long time. I am guessing that with what logicsequence did with the re-skinning of the planets, someone will figure out how to do that with ships as well.

Check out his mod thread.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 28, 2013, 8:19:34 PM
I think the ship models are protected, so I don't think you can do that (unless the textures are open to be modified).
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 28, 2013, 8:39:55 PM
Fenrakk101 wrote:
I think the ship models are protected, so I don't think you can do that (unless the textures are open to be modified).
That would be so awesome if they opened that up. Oh man. WIshful thinking, I know.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 29, 2013, 3:46:15 AM
Fenrakk101 wrote:

Ditto. I couldn't even find a way to get v1.1.14 to accept the ship model from the modding tutorial. Doesn't look like there be any ship model modding for a while.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 29, 2013, 5:33:14 PM
Antera wrote:
Ditto. I couldn't even find a way to get v1.1.14 to accept the ship model from the modding tutorial. Doesn't look like there be any ship model modding for a while.

It's not that the game is buggy, it's that you're not allowed to use the ship models built into the game. They're both copyrighted and also protected in some way that prevents you from accessing them (I won't pretend to know how it works). I found this out when I was asking if I could access them to try making a Star Wars: Empire at War mod with them, and was told it was more problematic than it sounded.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 29, 2013, 7:36:58 PM
Fenrakk101 wrote:
It's not that the game is buggy, it's that you're not allowed to use the ship models built into the game. They're both copyrighted and also protected in some way that prevents you from accessing them (I won't pretend to know how it works). I found this out when I was asking if I could access them to try making a Star Wars: Empire at War mod with them, and was told it was more problematic than it sounded.

At least they answered. Maybe they'll add that functionality at a later date with a nice expansion/dlc.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 29, 2013, 7:46:41 PM
Nasarog wrote:
At least they answered. Maybe they'll add that functionality at a later date with a nice expansion/dlc.

I doubt so. Like I said, it's not done because they're trying to be mean or lazy, but because their work is copyrighted. They don't want those original models getting out. If they ever do release them freely, it would probably be years down the line when they're working on their next game full-time.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 29, 2013, 7:48:14 PM
Fenrakk101 wrote:
I doubt so. Like I said, it's not done because they're trying to be mean or lazy, but because their work is copyrighted. They don't want those original models getting out. If they ever do release them freely, it would probably be years down the line when they're working on their next game full-time.

Indeed, hence the later date supposition.
0Send private message
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 29, 2013, 8:43:57 PM
Ca_Putt wrote:
how about not actually changing the textures but creating an overlay?

I'm pretty sure that would be even more trouble, and not entirely sure it actually avoids needing to meddle with the ship models.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 29, 2013, 10:55:12 PM
Ca_Putt wrote:
how about not actually changing the textures but creating an overlay?

That!

I know coding takes time but putting an overlay is comparatively easy and does not require changing the ship model. All you really got to do is attach a colored circle (as an example) centered around the reference location of the ship. You can put in a button to turn it off for screenshots or whatever. This is regularly done in many other strategy game and chance of it getting done sooner rather than later just depends on how many people wants it.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 30, 2013, 12:35:37 AM
Doesn't changing the texture leave the underlying mesh alone and just maps a new texture (i.e., color map) to the same shape?
0Send private message
11 years ago
Aug 1, 2013, 8:56:55 AM
I d love that. Nothing fancy just some kind of colored pattern or something because once you have a match where everybody plays the same race things start to get confusing in battle smiley: smile
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment