Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Game setup should have an option to avoid duplicate factions

Copied to clipboard!
11 years ago
Jul 17, 2013, 10:46:04 PM
When I play a game, I often want to avoid there being two copies of the same faction in the game. However, the only way to do this currently is to manually pick all the races the AI players use. I'd like to be able to leave that random, but check a box in one of the "advanced" dialogs to prevent duplication. Or perhaps there could be an additional race selection: "Random Unique Faction (no duplicates)".
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 18, 2013, 5:34:23 PM
I could see this as an option, but would then players be unable to pick the same race as well in multiplayer?
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 20, 2013, 5:46:40 AM
Hmm, I've not played any multiplayer, so I'm not really sure how the race selection works now. That said, I'd be OK with it either being an AI only restriction or for it applying to players too. There are a variety of ways it could be implemented, and I really don't have a strong opinion on which would be best (just that something would be better than nothing, where this issue is concerned).
0Send private message
11 years ago
Aug 12, 2013, 7:13:26 PM
+1. I'd like to see this option as well.

Just started a new game as United Empire versus three AI opponents. Two of the three AIs were also United Empire.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Aug 16, 2013, 6:41:27 PM
+1 it is not very funny to play as amobea vs 5 cravers... also id like to be able to say i want to play a random race except for some.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Aug 16, 2013, 8:35:26 PM
You* had the opportunity to get this in but you wanted another Galaxy layout...

*you, the community.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Aug 16, 2013, 9:22:45 PM
I think this would be a great idea. I hate having to cherrypick races to make sure I'm not in the Horatio cluster or something like that.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Aug 20, 2013, 10:11:55 AM
They are everywhere!

It's however really disturbing how often this happens. even in 4 player games you nigh always have at least one mirror.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Aug 24, 2013, 4:17:06 PM
Yes. Good god, yes! I've been begging for this since the game was released, right along with the ability to reroll a new game using saved settings from the last game. Please!
0Send private message
11 years ago
Aug 26, 2013, 3:32:22 PM
agree with OP.

Check box could read random players must be unique. So, in multiplayer, two humans could both be Sophons but then no AI player would be Sophon (or the same as any other AI race).
0Send private message
11 years ago
Sep 3, 2013, 5:47:52 AM
The way this worked in Moo2 was once the host picked a race, the next player could not (nor the AIs) be that race. If the host made a custom race, he had to pick a portrait -- again, that would preclude the race of whatever portrait he picked from the AIs or other players. If two players wanted to play the same race, one could simply pick another race portrait and make a custom race, duplicating the attributes from the one he wanted.

End result is you never have duplicate races, unless it's a multiplayer game and one human clones the attributes into another portrait.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Dec 6, 2013, 12:15:51 AM
I'd like to see this in place too.

First time I ever played ES I chose 7 players and the AI had 3 Cravers and 2 Horatio.

Second time I played ES I chose Pilgrim (God knows why) and left 2 random slots from 7. Guess what? Yep the AI put 2 Pilgrims in the game.

On several occasions the AI has had 3 of the same race in the game.

This hasn't inspire me with confidence, so I almost always pick my opponents now, but I feel the game loses some fun in that.

@Ca_Putt

Re post #6. I never saw this, perhaps it was earlier than my joining, so I'm wondering with your Dev connection would you be able to call for the vote to be re-run? I'd defo ask for the change. Thanks.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment