Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Saving ship configurations for usage in future games

Copied to clipboard!
11 years ago
Nov 22, 2013, 11:34:02 AM
I would like to have the possibility to save certain ship configurations. As soon as I have all the necessary technologies such a saved ship type should show up in the list of ships i can build.

After having played dozens of games it has become annoying to design the same ship type over and over again. Such a feature would make multiplayer games much quicker as the other players would not have to wait for people who are creating new ships.

What do you think?
0Send private message
0Send private message
11 years ago
Nov 22, 2013, 2:26:08 PM
I agree this would be really time saving.

However, how do you deal with tech trees ? Would design appears once you've unlocked the proper tech ?

Would it be better to have ship templates instead (like kinetic destroyer, balanced dreadnought or troops carrier) ? In fact, that would be complicated to handle and you'd loose

creativity when it comes to ship design (relying only on a few you've done a few times and be done with it).
0Send private message
11 years ago
Dec 18, 2013, 4:56:38 AM
I would also like some ship presets. I think the tech tree issue could be circumvented by setting module priorities rather than specific designs.

E.g., for an invasion ship, you could set your priorities as:

[LIST=1]
  • Tonnage
  • Repair
  • Armor, Max 1
  • Missile Defense, Max 2
  • Laser Defense, Max 2
  • Kinetic Defense, Max 2
  • Troops, to tonnage cap
  • Siege Weapons, to tonnage cap
  • [/LIST]

In this manner your ship would prioritize defense without going overboard and using up all the tonnage. It would employ siege weapons only if troops were unavailable.*

I think this could work. It's worth considering, in any case.

I would also like to see a way to save game presets. I may decide there are a certain set of widely varying galaxy and opponent sets I like and want to have on hand. This seems like a fairly trivial thing to implement as it's a static set of variables (@devs, don't hate me for calling any part of your work trivial; I just mean in comparison to the ship preset concept).

*I make no claim that this is an optimal design for a siege ship. I literally started playing last week.
    0Send private message
    11 years ago
    Dec 22, 2013, 12:04:12 AM
    The problem isn't saving the data for the ships, it is programming the interface to load & use those presets. That takes a lot more time and effort.

(Optimal design suggestion for siege ship depends on your plans for taking over things. Generically though, max elite troop modules + max siege or just max siege is pretty reasonable (on a destroyer frame)).
    0Send private message
    11 years ago
    Dec 25, 2013, 3:30:16 AM
    Id like there to be pre-set ships available to the player at the beginning and through out the game to use as a kind of standard example of what any particular era of ships should be designed like.

Almost like a default template for the player to use or redesign to help new players (And extremely bad ones like me) to know how we should be designing our ships.

I personally, have great difficulty with this.
    0Send private message
    ?

Click here to login

Comment