Combat

In one sentence: I want more control over the combat!

Yes, in Disharmony we got some additional options. Formations and especially targeting orders are great but dealing with cards, formations and targeting at once becomes hectic.

So here are my ideas on how I would love to see combat, even though I know that probably won't happen.

• Endless Space is a turn based game. Combat shouldn't be real time. At least give us the option to pause combat whenever we want OR interrupt the battle at the beginning of each battlephase (not round), so we can adjust our tactics.
  • Instead of a targeting "List" you should be able to choose your targets individually. If you want everybody to shoot at the dreadnaught, you should be able to.
  • Instead of formations sorting the targeting "List" they should rather give defensive/attack bonuses for being in the back or up front. You could order ships to "shield off" other ships. They then take some shots, etc.
  • For the love of god, REMOVE THE CARDS...please? I understand the idea of the cards and I will give an appropriate solution but please understand the following: the mechanic can completely turn the tide of battle. ONE blocked card can mean defeat or victory. Especially because they even get stronger when they block. And the most stupid thing about this mechanic? IT'S FREEKIN' LUCK! I want to win through good ship builds and tactic and not by playing rock, paper, laserrifle!

As promised, here's my solution for removing the cards and still keep the idea of "special moves":

Special moves should be tide to support modules/special slots.

For example: If you put an EMP cannon on one of your ships, you can use an EMP in battle.

If you pimped your weapons you can use "overclocking", etc.

There could be modules like "shield bubble", which wraps the whole fleet in a shield or repair drones, which repear the whole fleet, etc.

Now a lot of you will say: "We allready have that stuff as cards!"

Well, you're right. But without cards there would be completely new ship builds. You could have ships which are solely for support for example. You would need to care about what "special abilities" you want on your fleet.

In order that things don't get out of hand you can only use one ability per battle phase, of course. Certain abilities might even have cooldowns or can only be used once per battle.

The most important point here still is, that there shouldn't be any "block" bonuses and no "rock, paper, massdriver" mechanic. Yes, you should be able to "sabotage" enemy abilities if you have appropriate modules on your fleet but this will only nullify that ability. That way there wouldn't be any "I trigger my offensive card which increases my damage by 40% and...cool I block the enemy card and now I even get aditional 10% damage and my enemy is as good as dead." situations anymore.

By blocking enemy abilities you just block them. Not suddenly power your entire fleet.

So overall:

Give us more direct control over the battle and our fleet. And trash the luck based mechanics which are way too powerful.

Edit:

Please give us full information on the battle after the battle,

I want to see how ALL my weapons did in each phase. including bombers / Fighters