A search turned up nothing conclusive, so:

Is there a strict design decision that industry in one system should not affect any other system? One of the things I'm missing in ES is the ability to distribute food and industry from strong production centres to newer colonies to help these get up and running. I can definitely see good reasons for why this should not be possible from a game perspective, but I'm one of those people who feel frustrated when something "doesn't make sense" from a realism perspective (and I know. Talking about making sense in a sci-fi game :confusedsmiley: smile.

The tracked issues thread mentions transport ships for population only, so supply/contructor ships seem to be out. However, I would be content with something similar to the current ind-dust and int-sci system improvements. It could be as simple as having one which distributes all/x% of the system's industry evenly to all other systems (which are not doing the same), and one which distributes all/x% of excess food in the same way. Going to the more complex and probably more time consuming/difficult to code, you could have sliders for each system which lets you set how much to distribute while leaving the construction queue free. For this it would be reasonable to either have a cap on what percentage can be distributed, or no cap but having an efficieny rating (starting at say 33 or 50%, all above which is lost). This could be augmented with discoverable tech which increases the cap/efficiency.

In either case, for balance reasons I would suggest making this either not apply to outposts, or adding a space port/trade station improvement which links the system to the empire trade network. Allowing a new outpost to produce warships in a few turns is another thing that doesn't make sense to me.

Anyway, if anyone has some thoughts on this or a definite "no we're not doing this"-link from the devs, I'd love to hear them.

EDIT: Aaand now I'm thinking I put this in the wrong forum. If this could be moved to the Proposals forum that would be great.