Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

[Suggestion] Nav Range?

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Jun 3, 2012, 12:19:11 AM
I dont know if this been mentioned before but shouldent ships be limited by both fuel and comunication range? Seems a bit uberpowered to go/comunicate longer than the tech allowing. Same should be true with colonies or captured systems outside nav/com range, they should have big risk of going independent or atleast under own regional/ai government.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 3, 2012, 1:08:07 AM
Fuel wouldn't have to be used for ships; the ships would probably be powered mostly by a fission or combination of fission & fusion reactions (is fuel in a sense, but not one that runs out e.g. Ion Drive for real-life example; actually increases).

Comm range (and space communication in general) would only be solved with faster-than-light communication (sub-space). In the context of Endless Space, where systems are are say 10% the width of a galaxy apart (i.e. a very large distance), you would need something MUCH faster than light to communicate effectively. One could argue that once something this fast is developed, there wouldn't be a comm range in a galaxy-sized region. Then there's worm-holes, which could only exist in theory.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 3, 2012, 2:00:58 AM
I don't like this realism stuff. Yes they should have fuel, but they should also have ammo amounts and all that stuff, but they don't and deary me would it make the game boring if you had to worry about that stuff.

Also murph, even for a fission/fission reactor, you need fuel. Admittedly not as much but you do need it.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 3, 2012, 2:18:43 AM
I agree there could be some more serious consequences for having a colony too far from the rest of the Empire. Anyway, more than just having a very unhappy system. smiley: stickouttongue
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 3, 2012, 11:48:42 AM
Moved to the proposals section.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 3, 2012, 12:48:14 PM
InFlamesWeTrust wrote:
I don't like this realism stuff. Yes they should have fuel, but they should also have ammo amounts and all that stuff, but they don't and deary me would it make the game boring if you had to worry about that stuff

I get your point but there has to be a certain amount of realism in there otherwise the game would make no sense at all. It's a case of finding the right balance.

I quite like the idea of limiting the range of ships to slow down expansion. It adds more strategy to where you will colonise etc.

Limitation could be done through fuel or communication or maybe a more general heading of 'life support' limitations.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment