Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Hero Leveling Revamp

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Jun 1, 2012, 10:14:35 PM
I suggested that in another thread regarding the leveling for Heroes feeling to easy (https://www.games2gether.com/endless-space/forum/28-game-design/thread/11101-discussion-heroes-leveling-up-seems-too-easy), but since my changes would have a rather big impact on how Heroes overall play, I thought I would give the suggestion its own thread. Let me know what you think.

I would propose a number of changes/additions to rework the Hero leveling system:

[LIST=1]
  • Reduce XP gained from being attached to a Fleet/System by a lot (say 75%).
  • Rebalance XP gained in battles according to the actual military values in the battle (and possibly win/draw/defeat), With the max value being about the same as currently but with a much faster decline for smaller battles (big_battles_then == big_battles_now; small_battles_then <<<< small_battles_now).
  • Make Heroes lose some XP/levels when they are "injured" in a battle (depending on their level).
  • Add another option for Hero assignment, "Academy", which would train the Hero, giving it (a lot of) XP every turn but costing Dust per turn (depending on level, starting at about what the current upkeep is now but not increasing linear, but rather quadratical, like (lvl-1)²*2+2).
  • Remove the upkeep for Heroes not assigned to a fleet/star system (might as well remove it all together but maybe it will be more important once Dust is balanced out).

• [/LIST]

Changes 1-3 are to make XP more worthwhile, to have especially the higher levels more valuable. The goal would be that you really care for your Heroes, and don't just "use" them. Maybe a decrease on the Hero-Cap is needed, I think some Empires can get up to 10 Heroes.

Change 4 adds another "progression path" (stole that one from the MMORPG scene) for your Hero: You can level him up by assigning him to a fleet, a system or sending him to the new "Academy". I would propose that XP gains are balanced about at 0.8:1:2 (systemsmiley: fleetacademy), so that a Hero levels slightly faster when attached to a fleet (because there is the risk of losing him in an unexpected battle) and a lot faster when trained for Dust. Depending on the Battles your Hero fights and wins, you might even beat the Academy, though not likely. In addition, the Academy solves the problem of "lategame" Heroes being next to useless without cloning. You can now just boost him to a high level with the surplus Dust your now bigger Empire is able to spend. Granted, this might be a balance problem with cloning, but cloning itself needs some tweaks, so I would not worry too much about that.

The last change is just a little extra flexibility: I can send my hero do something and pay for it or just have him idle and wait. Granted, I never expelled a Hero because I could not afford him/her anymore, I only did it to free space for another class combination, but with more Dust balance you might be inclined to let your well trained Pilot/Commander idle rather then expell him to free up some Dust so you can train another Hero. Again, not a big impact but still...
    0Send private message
    0Send private message
    12 years ago
    Jun 3, 2012, 7:32:12 PM
    Well here's my opinions...

1) I could understand cutting XP for Fleet assignments, since they will gain XP in battle. But I like the level progression of my System assigned heroes. I don't want their XP rate cut down.

2) I agree with you on this one. After some fleet battles, my heroes jump 2 levels. That seems like a bit much.

3) Not sure, since I've yet to have an injured hero. Sounds like a good idea though.

4 & 5) the Academy concept sounds cool. You could just wrap Idea 5 into it and say anyone not assigned to a Fleet/System is automatically in the Academy. As the cost to keep the hero in the Academy skyrockets, it will pressure the player to give said hero an assignment.
    0Send private message
    12 years ago
    Jun 4, 2012, 9:21:51 AM
    1) Since being deployed in a fleet carries the risk of being injured and losing XP, fleet-duty should get a Hero more XP than being attached to a system. The whole idea is to reduce the rate at which Heroes level without you doing anything. It feels a little easy (as someone else has pointed out) that you get a max level Hero without doing anything for it.

4&5) I don't like wrapping them all together because then, again, you will only have the option of expelling a Hero when you can't afford the upkeep (and by this allowing anyone in the game to pick him up). This might be what the developers are going for, but I don't like that. Why not send him onto vacation?
    0Send private message
    ?

Click here to login

Comment