Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

[Suggestion] Auto change of old ship project to new

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Jun 1, 2012, 9:40:21 AM
Hey dear all,

I would like to reccomend to chagne a little bit a change system of existing ship desings.

For example if i have "destroyer" and i'm in the middle of war, i want to change weapon type from kinetics to beam and flak...

When i do this, all my planets are still producing "old" version of my ship.

I would recommend to auto-change production from old verion of ship into new version of ship.

Or if you don't want to automate this, you could set a "popup dialog" with question "do you want to change production on planets from old verion to new one" because tight now i must revisit all planets and manually change this production.

It's so frustrating smiley: frown

Kind regards

Sławek
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 1, 2012, 10:26:03 AM
A pop-up might not be a bad idea. But the problem with an option-less switch, imagine this situation:

You're at war, building all sorts of things on all sorts of planets. Some are bigger ships (or smaller ships on industrially weaker systems), and a bunch of them are half-way done (say, 2-3 turns out of a total 4-5). Also assume, for the case of this example, that you have a fair bit of money, and that you'd rather retrofit old models than spend more turns on actual building.

I don't know about you, but I'd want to finish building those old ships instead of having them replaced with new models and resetting the build time.

You might say "Well, just keep the existing build time!", but that might be too good.

Yes, industry points to roll-over to whatever you're building next when you build something and you have a "leftover", but in this case, it might be too much to ask for the full switch. Also consider it might not just be a weapon-type swap, but you might have made quite a few modifications to the ship's blueprint, which can significantly change its industry cost. It just seems a bit too illogical to me to have multiple turns of industry spent building one thing just be switched to something else.

With the "leftovers" after building a project, it's usually just a little bit (a fraction of a turn's industrial output), so I can see that being a bit more logical. But a few turns' worth of build-time translates into a lot of work done on a project, so it doesn't quite make sense that you can just change that to whatever you want.

There could be a partial recovery, though, I guess. Like, say a ship would normally take you 5 turns to build. You're down to 2-3 turns left. You change the blueprints, and you have the option of switching the production to the new model. You'd lose some time/industry, but not all of it. The new one might take 4 turns to finish instead of 5, for example.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 1, 2012, 10:37:14 AM
ElegantCaveman wrote:
A pop-up might not be a bad idea. But the problem with an option-less switch, imagine this situation:

You're at war, building all sorts of things on all sorts of planets. Some are bigger ships (or smaller ships on industrially weaker systems), and a bunch of them are half-way done (say, 2-3 turns out of a total 4-5). Also assume, for the case of this example, that you have a fair bit of money, and that you'd rather retrofit old models than spend more turns on actual building.

I don't know about you, but I'd want to finish building those old ships instead of having them replaced with new models and resetting the build time.

You might say "Well, just keep the existing build time!", but that might be too good.

Yes, industry points to roll-over to whatever you're building next when you build something and you have a "leftover", but in this case, it might be too much to ask for the full switch. Also consider it might not just be a weapon-type swap, but you might have made quite a few modifications to the ship's blueprint, which can significantly change its industry cost. It just seems a bit too illogical to me to have multiple turns of industry spent building one thing just be switched to something else.

With the "leftovers" after building a project, it's usually just a little bit (a fraction of a turn's industrial output), so I can see that being a bit more logical. But a few turns' worth of build-time translates into a lot of work done on a project, so it doesn't quite make sense that you can just change that to whatever you want.

There could be a partial recovery, though, I guess. Like, say a ship would normally take you 5 turns to build. You're down to 2-3 turns left. You change the blueprints, and you have the option of switching the production to the new model. You'd lose some time/industry, but not all of it. The new one might take 4 turns to finish instead of 5, for example.

Thanks for answer smiley: smile

I think that if we want to keep this ship project and production we could simply create a new ship project, but if we want retrofit this one, the whole process should contain also ship in build.

Let's think more logic for a moment. We have ship blueprint and we change it, we contructed 50% of old blue print and then ship project was modified in 50% so we have constructed 50% of 50% so we have constructed 25% of entire new ship. So the amount of production time transfered from old production to new should depends of amount of changes done to the original project.

What do you think about it ?

Kind regards

Sławek
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 1, 2012, 11:10:29 AM
ShaD321 wrote:
Thanks for answer smiley: smile

I think that if we want to keep this ship project and production we could simply create a new ship project, but if we want retrofit this one, the whole process should contain also ship in build.

Let's think more logic for a moment. We have ship blueprint and we change it, we contructed 50% of old blue print and then ship project was modified in 50% so we have constructed 50% of 50% so we have constructed 25% of entire new ship. So the amount of production time transfered from old production to new should depends of amount of changes done to the original project.

What do you think about it ?

Kind regards

Sławek

Or you let any contructions already underway finish as the old version, which can then be retrofitted, and all additional ships in the queue are updated to the new version.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 1, 2012, 11:24:07 AM
ShaD321 wrote:
We have ship blueprint and we change it, we contructed 50% of old blue print and then ship project was modified in 50% so we have constructed 50% of 50% so we have constructed 25% of entire new ship. So the amount of production time transfered from old production to new should depends of amount of changes done to the original project.

I like that, seems fair. It might be a little complicated to implement, though. I'd be happy with simply having 50% of the current production going to the new one (even if you only changed 25% of the original model, or 75%). I like your idea better, but a static value would probably be easier to implement.

Either way, though, sounds fine to me. Make a new blue-print, you get a pop-up for the old models in production asking you if you want to switch. If you say yes, ~50% (or whatever) of the existing production goes to the new model.

Thumpen wrote:
Or you let any contructions already underway finish as the old version, which can then be retrofitted, and all additional ships in the queue are updated to the new version.

That's an interesting idea...

Kind of reminds me of how in Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri, the first time you build a new model of something, it costs more/takes longer, since it's the first prototype. After you've made it once, the next ones you make have their normal costs.

So in this case, you'd need to build at least one of the new model you just made (either through actual production, or through retrofitting), and only then would you have the option of updating older models already being built.
0Send private message
0Send private message0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 4, 2012, 11:34:24 AM
ElegantCaveman wrote:
Make a new blue-print, you get a pop-up for the old models in production asking you if you want to switch. If you say yes, ~50% (or whatever) of the existing production goes to the new model.

Yep, sounds good to me, seems a reasonable approach to tackling the issue of old model ship production.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 4, 2012, 1:24:24 PM
Thumpen wrote:

I'll go with this one. It's always annoying to manually remove old ship models from the que to replace them with new ones.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment