Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

[Suggestion] Cultural and/or diplomatic events.

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Jun 3, 2012, 3:08:36 PM
Greetings and salutations.

Galactic strategy games are one of my very favorite (e.g. Master of Orion 1/2 and Galactic Civilization 2 + them expansions) and Endless Space seems like an excellent addition to the genre.

But, there is this one thing that bothers me: my own citizens.

The people of my very own intergalactic empire don't really have any opinions on.. well.. anything. Thus i am suggesting some sort of cultural event system, with choices.

(very much similar to the alignment based events in galactic civilization 2)

These events would tell you what important things are happening within your civilization, for an example: "a planet wide hunger riot has broke out in Echelon II", then you are given a list of choices how to deal with the situation:

1. Dispatch a military force to smother the riots.

2. Send more food from a close by system or planet.

3. Create a positive marketing campaign to suppress these riots.

etc.

It doesn't always have to be something as dramatic as my first example. Some events could be more trivial, another example: "A corporation in your empire is planning to build a factory site on some national landscape, thus ruining it, but they would be willing to hand out a portion of their yearly dust income."

1. accept

2. encourage them to build it elsewhere

3. force them to build it elsewhere

etc.

These events could vary from small and trivial tasks to huge system-wide problems and of course different choices offer different out comes, as in dust, morale, science etc.

Some of these events could even happen between two different empires and the way of dealing it would impact the political state these empires, this would be quite interesting in multiplayer.

In my opinion this would bring lots of depth into the game and boost re-playability.

Thank you and please tell me what you think.

(I tried to find any topics with the same idea, found similar, but not the same. If there already is a topic for this then please do what has to be done :coolsmiley: smile
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 3, 2012, 9:08:05 PM
I'm not opposed to random diplomacy/cultural events. Civ 4 did it pretty well (if you liked random events that could go both ways) in the last? expansion?.

You'd have random events like volcano eruptions, tidal waves, population boosts (from immigration) or bountyful harvests. I'm pretty sure it even included diplomatic events like "One of your ambassadors have married to the kingdom of ____ - diplomacy between the two empires have increased by X".
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 3, 2012, 10:03:15 PM
Random events are nice, if there is a huge list to take from, and that you only see a few each game. Then they can really ad to the replay ability to the game.

@ Mansen: Indeed they did. There where nothing wrong with the random events of Civ IV. There were just to few, so them became very trivial and therefore boring. (Or at least that was the case for me)
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 6, 2012, 1:03:55 PM
Different racial specific events would also be interesting. I imagine that the machine race, Sowers, would have quite different kind of problems/events than humans.. and so on.

Few of these events could be somewhat related to their racial background story, e.g. Horatio could have some kind of event related to their cloning/genetic manipulation. etc.

TheManInRoomFive wrote:
Random events are nice, if there is a huge list to take from, and that you only see a few each game. Then they can really ad to the replay ability to the game.

True. In addition, at least some of the more notable events should be illustrated, if not all.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment