Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

[Suggestion] improve system view by showing what the effects of improvements are

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Jun 7, 2012, 12:53:51 AM
... and indicate where resources come from.

What do improvements actually do in a system? It's easy to see in the beginning, but as you get more planets and modifiers, it gets real murky real fast.

"I have 5 population in tundra, so thats +5 industry. But then there is system approval and empire approval, 35%+15%=50% that's +7.5 industry. And there is +20% from improvement, and another +25% from improvement when ecstatic. Oh and global event, but does that stack with planet industry or with everything? Please just figure it out for me!"

This situation could be improved by appending the actual effects of the improvement, when built in the system, after the relevant item. These should be shown both for already built improvements and when building them. Example of this is illustrated below. (Numbers are imaginary, as who the heck knows what the actual effects are.)

How about trying to figure out where your resources come from? This is really something the computer should do for me.

In the following screenshot, the items marked by red arrows could be improved by changing them to say what they actually refer to.

• What global even? I don't even remember when that was and don't know when it will end.
  • What improvement? Elegant Networks of course, so say "FROM ELEGANT NETWORKS".
  • What empire? I assume it's +2% from Hydromel, so say "FROM HYDROMEL"
  • What improvement? "FROM COLONIAL BASE"

This list could also be improved by appending the percentage or fixed amount in brackets after the item. This is especially useful when you have things like hydromel monopoly, which modifies approval and hero bonuses, turning +35% approval bonus to 45% (assuming +28% from 4 hydromel).

• FROM SYSTEM APPROVAL (+36%)
  • FROM ELEGANT NETWORKS (+10%)
  • FROM COLONIAL BASE (+2)

0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 7, 2012, 12:57:11 AM
The page timed out as I was writing that so I copy pasted it, and posted in the wrong forum. Can a mod delete this or move it to the game design proposal forum?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 7, 2012, 1:41:21 AM
Personally I'd prefer the addition of a total improvement. By that I mean, I do like to see each individual bonus the improvements give me, but I'd rather not sit there and count my total population affected by each bonus to figure out whether the improvement is worth it. Sometimes its a fine line between say +5 dust bonus -4 dust improvement. Add that little extra feature that tells me that in the end, the improvement will at this point in time add +1 dust overall.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 7, 2012, 2:21:47 AM
Good idea, it clarifies within the existing framework, so it's not too cluttery or distracting.

However I imagine getting the information set to display properly might be tricky, especially to get them accurately.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 7, 2012, 2:29:54 AM
I really like this idea. It would lay out the large amount of modifiers into a quick and easily read layout.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment