Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

[Suggestion] RTS Style Ship Battles?

Copied to clipboard!
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 7, 2012, 12:32:16 PM
How would RTS be more appropriate in a grand strategy game? That's like saying Hearts of Iron 3 would benefit from real-time strategy, but it wouldn't. The higher up the strategy ladder you go, the less sense controlling individual battles makes. All real-time "strategy" games I'm aware of focus on a single battle in a war; you can tack a strategy simulator onto such a system, but they don't necessarily synergize.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 7, 2012, 1:45:53 PM
MOO used turn-based space battles which often got out of hand in the late game because there was no fleet cap. I think a turn-based battle would work just fine in ES due to the unit limits and it would fit in with the turn-based theme. Of course you could go down the route of Total War and go turn-based on the galaxy map and real-time in the battles but I think turn-based would fit the game better since it might integrate faster with the existing card system, where a card is played every number of turns or something.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 2, 2012, 8:41:03 PM
+1. I'm fine with it not being RTS. Keeping with rest of the game being turn based, and not going for a game mechanic mix like the total war series. But it needs to be heavily improved upon. Right now, I just auto all fights as I don't. fight them interesting in any way.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 2, 2012, 4:49:32 PM
Yep pretty much agree and I suspect it links to the need for Free Cam via public vote etc, folks want to do/have control of more in the space battles and they simply want more from ES Alpha. smiley: approval

A very big opportunity to RTS the ship battles would be a great big feather in Amplitude-Studio's Cap if they pulled it off it would be akin to designing Total War:Space and probably land them with quite a large fan base in addition to what they have atm.

Is that going to happen? Not now, maybe in the future? Who knows... Autoresolve is your friend atm unless you really need to sort something out. smiley: sarcastic
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 2, 2012, 4:50:59 PM
Aye, That's what I've resorted to. I just take the Strategy road, (Though the battles do look pretty on my computer) because it's more of the element I'm lookin' for.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 2, 2012, 4:59:42 PM
Yep I see the Space Battles as one of the rewards for bothering to sit for hours playing the game, it should be quite a motivating factor in the Just One More Turn genre.

If the Space Battles do not develop so well in the future ES will be in danger of Just One More Turn Off and shrink to a die hard fan base to be shelved with the rest of them.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 2, 2012, 5:03:51 PM
As of recent, my favorite EndlessSpace-style mods died out from Garry's Mod. And It hasn't been announced to return. Ever. So I'm trying to fill this gaping hole it left in my life, (and schedule.) because I used to devote so much time to it. I guess it's more an Eve / ES style, really. You only controlled 1 ship, and had to mine and what not. Eventually you got into these pretty hardcore space battles. 20+ ships (not including AI) and these were behemoths. Very interesting. I'd feel I'd died and gone to heaven if ES eventually came close to that genre.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 2, 2012, 5:07:12 PM
That does remind me of the X-Universe series of games. Often expected them to sort out an mmo to rival the likes of Eve one day...

Shame really you cannot combine SOSE with ES to get that rts Ship Battle element. Wishful thinking I know... smiley: sarcastic
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 2, 2012, 5:11:49 PM
Well, hey, it's a lot more likely than with any other business model out there. Props to Amplitude for appealing to the gamer, rather than the pocket.

I've got some high hopes for this game. (Hopefully they're the popular hopes.)
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 2, 2012, 5:22:43 PM
I'm really looking forward to Beta launch to see if the combat has improved. There are quite a few other discussions on ways to improve combat and I'm sure Amplitude has read over a few of them. A RTS based combat system isn't a bad option, but I'm just wondering if a board based approach is more in congress with the rest of the gameplay. You can select a Strategy card, pick targets, move your fleet, then watch the action happen as it does now. Most real-time combat systems include landscape based positional bonuses, that I just don't see getting implemented in the final game. Could be wrong however.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 2, 2012, 5:35:29 PM
If we could get a control system akin to Star Wars Empire at War that would be amazing. +1
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 2, 2012, 6:27:32 PM
Sir_Destru wrote:
If we could get a control system akin to Star Wars Empire at War that would be amazing. +1

+support. smiley: smile
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 2, 2012, 8:29:16 PM
I just want more control I don't care if it is with an RTS style battle or if they just improve the current system to include things like target prioritization or formations.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 2, 2012, 4:41:20 PM
I'm sure somebody has posted something about this, but I couldn't find any threads...

Also, I'm sure I'll get some hate for this, but meh...

Anywho, I'd like to release my opinion. I'd like to see RTS style ship battles in the game. I read somewhere "I like the 'trading-card' feel of the battles that's in the game currently, but it will get old, quick." And I whole heartily agree with that person. The Game is fun. I love ES. It keeps me interested, for sure. But there's a huge community of RTS players who are now finding ES, who will jump into the game and expect "Gratuitous Space Battles" but will get this version..

Let me be the first to post : It's fine how it is. I love it. I'm not saying I won't play if they don't implement it. (They already have my money anyways ;]) But, if it were put in, I'd just be more prone to play it, and for a longer set of time. This game is very interesting, don't get me wrong, I'll be here a while.

Post opinions smiley: smile
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 2, 2012, 9:46:10 PM
I really really don't want to see a RTS system in this game, its been done before, its hard to code nad harder to balance, not to mention it would require a compleate revamp and change to the majority of the games michanics that when not done is a appropriate way would just leave people more fustrated then if they had hit the auto-resolve.

Don't get me wrong, i love my RTS games, but i don't want to see this added to them. I play turn baised stratigy games for a reason, and its the same reason i auto-battle every time in the total war series.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 2, 2012, 10:38:08 PM
I, for one, am very glad that there is no RTS combat in Endless Space. I wouldn't mind seeing more strategy in the battles (though the card system is nice as is, it also has a high degree of randomness) but not strategy from an RTS mold.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 2, 2012, 10:49:53 PM
You can still keep the turn based aspects and card ideas and let people have formations and environment matter.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 2, 2012, 11:17:31 PM
TheManInRoomFive wrote:
You can still keep the turn based aspects and card ideas and let people have formations and environment matter.

Yes indeed! smiley: approval

At the very least some middle ground has to be met to advance and improve upon what has already been developed.

The current format as it stands imho is just like a visually ramped up version of previous graphic scripted space battle displays from 4X games of yesteryear, maybe some folks are too happy with the status quo, it wont bring in new blood though compared with whats on offer elsewhere.

Even some of the ship models need a good revision too.

So wishful thinking it is indeed for RTS, however definite improvements are much needed on this front; it could turn out to be a game breaker in the making and will score them poorly when it comes to reviewing the Gold.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 3, 2012, 1:19:30 AM
Just as long as there's absolutely no real-time interaction during combat.

It's not possible to have Player vs Player and real-time in a game that lasts hours of single player and seconds of combat.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment