Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

[Suggestion] Extensive list of surveyed planets

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Jun 7, 2012, 10:48:28 AM
As a user who doesn't like clicking too much around the starmap and taking notes, I'd like to be able to see a summary of all the surveyed planets so that I can quickly find the best planet to colonize or which system to attack next for example. Ideally, this list should be sortable by different fields like: planet type, size, system name, owner ...

This would really make the player like easier especially on large maps, and it would certainly help reducing downtime in MP games.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 7, 2012, 11:44:17 AM
That's an awesome idea, like the empire trees in Sins. A button to hit and you get a vertically scrolling list of all visible planets with colonized at the top and uncolonised underneath ranked in available population smiley: smile
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 7, 2012, 12:21:26 PM
Oh man... I am imagining playing a multiplayer game with another player as the Ameoba.

*10 minutes go by*

"Dude, what are you doing?"

"Sorry, I was checking out a list of ocean and terran planets. I got lost."
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 7, 2012, 12:41:49 PM
Why, though? You don't need to click around, as on the galaxy view the system name will have blue dots if you can colonize in that system. If you're trying to expand, it won't really matter what the planet is, you have to take it. If it's a huge problem, terraform later. The Amoeba would have a pretty much useless list, as they'll be seeing systems they have no hope of seeing or colonizing any time soon.

Just simply keeps colonizing the systems link to your own systems, or following the strings if you're invading. I don't see a menu like this being all that helpful.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 7, 2012, 12:47:34 PM
I agree about the list being fairly useless to Ameoba. As a coding issue, I don't think it's honestly worth the time and effort for the incrementally small gain in playability.

However, I do like the idea of being able to keep a general list of what type of planets lie where and with what modifiers, without memorizing them. A little lazy on my part. Maybe a list of systems vertically instead of spread out on the galaxy map--sometimes I get a little lopsided with my eyesight and forget what system had that juicy garden of eden jungle.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 7, 2012, 1:05:26 PM
Well there are 7 other races than Ameoba, one could just simply disable it for that faction. I don't know if an extensive list is the way to go, my idea revolves more around a way to rate systems in galaxy view. So you can see what systems are your highest priority. Bear in mind that it is the player that must make these ratings, not the AI.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 7, 2012, 1:16:57 PM
TheManInRoomFive wrote:
Well there are 7 other races than Ameoba, one could just simply disable it for that faction. I don't know if an extensive list is the way to go, my idea revolves more around a way to rate systems in galaxy view. So you can see what systems are your highest priority. Bear in mind that it is the player that must make these ratings, not the AI.

Why bother making a rating? You can see the system, you know that you want that system. Why would the devs put an extra mechanic in there when you can just make a note of it yourself?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 7, 2012, 1:42:44 PM
Well, I do find myself spending a lot of time clicking on bordering systems inspecting available planets in details before moving to the next system, and eventually going into loops because I'm too stupid to remember and lazy to take notes.

And about that, this other suggestion really is complementary to the one we're discussing here: /#/endless-space/forum/28-game-design/thread/11913-suggestion-adding-notes-to-a-system
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 7, 2012, 3:08:11 PM
Already been suggested a little while ago:

SolearisSK wrote:
[Suggestion-UI,SystemScreen]:

I would appreciate a marker that would indicate whether a planet's moon was surveyed or not. I found myself late in game checking planet screens just for this.

We have agreed with that suggestion, for moon survey only, and this is on the list of community suggestions we are tracking.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 7, 2012, 3:38:04 PM
Ah, thanks Steph'nie but I'm not sure the suggestion you pointed out is really related to the one I've made in this topic. Maybe I shouldn't have use the word "surveyed", because it's not really about moons, but all the planets a player have seen so far. If I don't feel like clicking around the starmap to look at planets details, I'd rather have a flat list of all the ones I've seen so far". That's something that can be found in pretty much all space 4x I know of, so I thought it would be nice if ES could propose that too smiley: smile
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 7, 2012, 3:44:00 PM
Seboss wrote:
Ah, thanks Steph'nie but I'm not sure the suggestion you pointed out is really related to the one I've made in this topic. Maybe I shouldn't have use the word "surveyed", because it's not really about moons, but all the planets a player have seen so far. If I don't feel like clicking around the starmap to look at planets details, I'd rather have a flat list of all the ones I've seen so far". That's something that can be found in pretty much all space 4x I know of, so I thought it would be nice if ES could propose that too smiley: smile

No, I think she means the idea did come up before, but the devs only found the part about the moons to be worth considering.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 7, 2012, 3:44:51 PM
Seboss wrote:

Yup, it's been summed up by Jetkar as a whole survey enhancement. But SpaceTroll (the creative director, by the way) is only considering this idea for moons (at least for now). That's what I meant with my post. smiley: smile

Edit: aaah ninja'd. smiley: biggrin
0Send private message
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment