Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

[Suggestion] More time for choosing combat cards

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Jun 7, 2012, 9:56:02 PM
Hi,

I found the time to select a card a bit too short for a beginner of the game. Every time I fight, I am desperate to choose a card.

Does the game really expect me to memorize them all?

In a strategy game, I usually expect to have enough time for my choices, so I can carefully select what I think fits best.

Maybe a setting to customize it would be good. Or am I missing a pause function?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 7, 2012, 10:03:59 PM
I agree with you on having to rush. I would like a longer time (can be set in options) to pick my first card. But I don't want it to stop at each phase to it. Just at the start of combat.

No there is no pause function. The only pause that has been talked about was just before you have to pick Auto or Manual for battle.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 7, 2012, 10:32:42 PM
There is another thread where many people requested a pause for card review and selection, at least for singleplayer games. Multiplayer should probably say as-is to keep the game moving. Anyone playing MP probably has enough familiarity with the cards.

I hope a pause is added, because it really breaks the flow of a turn-based game to have the game mode shift like that.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 7, 2012, 10:36:44 PM
You can study the cards for as long as you want, by clicking the Battle Actions button in the fleet window. Plan out what cards you will use. Then when the battle starts, just make the six mouse clicks to select them, and go get a coffee till the fight finishes.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 8, 2012, 9:34:54 AM
@davea - that's all good and well but some of us actually like just sitting there and watching spaceships blow each-other up. I got a little irked as well that I had to select these cards while stuff was happening in the background. Call me sentimental but I like seeing my fleet warp in, it looks cool. And no, I don't get tired of it even after 300 times.

For a beginner it's definitely too quick, but even for multiplayer I personally find it too quick. Selecting all cards at once makes no sense and detaches the player from the combat/strategy side of the combat. You should pick cards based on how the battle is playing out, and thus have some time between each phase to pick one. That would create a lot more depth for multiplayer games as well as you are responding to the situation rather than making a wild guess at the start and then twiddling your thumbs.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 8, 2012, 1:21:57 PM
I think it's almost perfect but honestly sometimes I get annoyed at how long the initial phase is because I have my cards selected before my ships are even shown to warp in.

I would hate it if they made it longer, though an option to increase it in settings would be fine as long as it stayed the same for multi.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 8, 2012, 1:50:39 PM
Heres a usual tactic for you that works well for me, at long range use sabotage to reduce enemy accuracy medium range boost your shields, and at close range overcharge your weapons, this tends to work very well, due to taking advantage of accuracy to the maximum.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 8, 2012, 9:48:13 PM
EvilTactician wrote:
@davea - that's all good and well but some of us actually like just sitting there and watching spaceships blow each-other up. I got a little irked as well that I had to select these cards while stuff was happening in the background. Call me sentimental but I like seeing my fleet warp in, it looks cool. And no, I don't get tired of it even after 300 times.

For a beginner it's definitely too quick, but even for multiplayer I personally find it too quick. Selecting all cards at once makes no sense and detaches the player from the combat/strategy side of the combat. You should pick cards based on how the battle is playing out, and thus have some time between each phase to pick one. That would create a lot more depth for multiplayer games as well as you are responding to the situation rather than making a wild guess at the start and then twiddling your thumbs.

As long as you haven't reached a certain phase, you can always change the card you want to use that phase. I'm not sure if this is intentional or not, but it's been in both alpha and beta.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment