Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

[Suggestion] Multiple Moons

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Jun 8, 2012, 11:11:39 AM
So, yeah, in real life some planets has multiple moons, so what about giving a small chance for a planet to have 2 or even 3 moons?

For balance stuff planets with 2 or more moons may have some negative anomalies, like tides or storms caused by gravity..
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 8, 2012, 11:31:40 AM
Nice idea. Maybe up to three moons per planet? The "+X on explored moon" could be multiplied by the number of moons.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 8, 2012, 2:25:29 PM
I like the idea. I would also like to see more features added for moons, for example colonize or build shipyards or bases on them etc....

btw, if you had more than one moon per planet then hopefully they would never accidentally collide and wipe out your system in the process... lol
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 8, 2012, 2:34:59 PM
n18991c wrote:
I like the idea. I would also like to see more features added for moons, for example colonize or build shipyards or bases on them etc....

btw, if you had more than one moon per planet then hopefully they would never accidentally collide and wipe out your system in the process... lol

Have a look at this if the idea of more than 1 moon interests you. A lot closer to home than you might think.

http://burro.astr.cwru.edu/stu/jupiter_moons.html

On an on-topic note: Yes, absolutely. I also agree that other functionality of moons would be great - the temples don't really interest in the slightest. It makes no sense that a race would build temples on only moons. I'd rather see moon exploitation unlock things such as extra living space, ship yards, conversion to defensive base, yadi. Things that are generally just a lot more... interesting. smiley: smile
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 8, 2012, 7:02:58 PM
I'm not sure about multiple moons, but more options to them sounds nice.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 8, 2012, 7:04:36 PM
Jupiter has four moons, and Saturn has at least eight, though most of them are tiny. Capping the moon bonus at something like four or so would be fine, I think.

Natural Sattelites
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 8, 2012, 7:26:20 PM
Hi guys,

Here is an earlier post of mine on the topic --

In some of the original design documents we had (if I recall correctly) the possiblity of 0 to 4 or 5 moons per planet. But this caused a few problems:

- Display / GUI clutter

- Lore (how many moons do you need to build one temple...?)

- Micromanagement of moon expeditions (Endless Space: Moon Grinding!)

- Gameplay balance for potential moon bonuses

So we ended up with an option that may be less astronomically accurate, but that we think makes the gameplay better. Hopefully in the game you guys will feel we made the right decision...
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 8, 2012, 7:50:09 PM
I think it was a good choice. Multiple moons could really be a pain to manage. I personally would have allowed an extra moon exploitation, build like the planet exploitation and in the same screen with a visual feedback in the system view, but doing it with system improvements seems okay. Definitly less things to think about.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 8, 2012, 9:08:10 PM
Slowhands wrote:
Hi guys,

Personal opinion, but I don't agree. Reduce it to 0-3 but having one or nothing feels wrong somehow. Given that moons can already be useless at the moment, it would have given the game some depth.

Then again, I don't like the 'temple' system anyway, I'd rather see something more interesting happen with moons.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 8, 2012, 9:36:07 PM
EvilTactician wrote:

On an on-topic note: Yes, absolutely. I also agree that other functionality of moons would be great - the temples don't really interest in the slightest. It makes no sense that a race would build temples on only moons. I'd rather see moon exploitation unlock things such as extra living space, ship yards, conversion to defensive base, yadi. Things that are generally just a lot more... interesting. smiley: smile

This is spot on.

To be honest i only explore moons for some system improvements to work, the temples feel just like a nice but rather unexciting side effect.

So some minor boni (nothing too fancy) like +1 pop or some FIDS would work wonders in that department.

But i agree with others, too many moons (or too many and diverse/complex boni) would get too management heavy and cluttered fast.

It's a clickfest already with only one moon per planet, especially when you research the tech late in a big empire.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 8, 2012, 11:29:43 PM
In my mind, the larger moons count as tiny planets, like our Moon or ones like Io, Europa, Ganymede, or Callisto. It's the smaller moons, like those of Mars, which the moon surveys are all about. And, frankly, the moon survey tech seems rather deep into the tree, and the exploitation of moons seems rather odd.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 9, 2012, 3:41:45 AM
Slowhands wrote:
Hi guys,

Aww, that's too bad. Maybe you should add posibility for modders to make more moons for the planet? smiley: smile
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment