logo amplifiers simplified

[Suggestion] Being able to refit ships.

Yes
No
Vote now
Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Jun 5, 2012, 9:16:31 PM
My sincere apologies if this in the game and I've just not seen how to do it, but allow me to expound in case it is not.

Say you create a destroyer with certain weapons and mods, and then many turns later that fleet of ships is still alive, but you've advanced significantly research-wise in weaponry and modules. I think it would be really great if I could spend some production points and over the course of a turn or so refit my old ship into the V2.0 I've recently created. Doing this shouldn't be prohibitively expensive, since the ship's basic structure is staying the same, but it should definitely take a turn or so per ship. I'm spending upkeep on the ship so I think it's fair to be able to do.

I think this would be immensely useful and it is realistic, since modern navies have to refit ships all the time.

What do ya think folks?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 5, 2012, 9:19:09 PM
You already can buddy, but at the cost of 'dust'

just go to the fleet screen and select the desired fleet, the click the upgrade button and all of the ships will be improved to the latest model. smiley: wink
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 5, 2012, 10:20:08 PM
Unikraken wrote:
Doing this shouldn't be prohibitively expensive, since the ship's basic structure is staying the same.

Hull? yes - the internals and just about every mounting point? Not so much. Which is why most games shy away from it entirely for realism.

It can be done in ES though as Igncom mentions - with the exception that your fleet has to be in one of your systems, and no enemy fleet may be present while doing this. I believe the fleet loses all remaining move points and actions - so plan ahead.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 5, 2012, 10:46:37 PM
I think you should be able to do it at the cost of industrial points over a couple turns if you dock them up.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 6, 2012, 2:26:22 AM
Mansen wrote:
Hull? yes - the internals and just about every mounting point? Not so much. Which is why most games shy away from it entirely for realism.

The US Navy is currently refitting several classes of ships. Namely the Arleigh Burke class destroyer. Refitting older ships is very common as weapon systems advance.

Thank you, Igncom1, for letting me know. This is great news. Glad they already thought of this. smiley: smile
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 6, 2012, 6:37:36 AM
VulpesWalker wrote:
I think you should be able to do it at the cost of industrial points over a couple turns if you dock them up.

This. Upgrading them with dust can get really expensive sometimes...
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 6, 2012, 10:46:42 AM
Personally i dont like the way the game handles upgrading, it's overpowered. It just seems too quick and easy as long as you've got piles of cash sitting around (which isnt that hard to achieve). IMO it takes away interesting gameplay decisions from the player, about when to scrap old ships, and when to build new ones.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 9, 2012, 7:10:42 PM
As this feature was included from the first alpha version onwards, I'll close this thread. ^^
0Send private message
Comment