Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

[Suggestion] Add custom planet subtitles

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Jun 11, 2012, 12:35:24 PM
Sorry if this has come up before - but I was wondering if we could make the system viewer look a little more like (what surely seems like) its inspiration:

When I make an massive Huge desert commerce world - I want to name it! Not as something that shows up as top in dust production or or System > Planet (n) or some name that applies to the whole system.

Please? smiley: smile
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 11, 2012, 12:45:23 PM
Moved to the proposals, renamed the title.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 11, 2012, 1:07:34 PM
I guess, but...Why? It's not really something we need. It's just some fluff that the devs would have to take time to add in, as opposed to using that time to really put on some needed finishing touches. Personally it's a system I wouldn't use. But, if a bunch of others like it...

I don't really see the devs doing something like this, though, with everything they still have on their plate.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 11, 2012, 1:32:46 PM
+1smiley: approval Never underestimate the power of immersion. If I colonise, build and mould a planet to my will and slap a name of my choosing to it, its mine! That little personal touch would give it more ownership. One could also use the suggestion as a reminder, what they want to turn the planet into if you're not so inclined to personalise your planets. Slave Labour Alpha, Oxford Uni Beta, Wall Street Delta etc. Certainly better than Barren, Arid, Tundra, Jungle...

@ FinalStrigon I can't imagine adding a text variable to the game will be a major undertaking. AI could simply have a random name picked from a list.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 11, 2012, 11:51:10 PM
Yeah! smiley: smile

I don't know if there needs to be a text pool for it, though it would be cool to do it like the old 8-bit Elite and proceedurally generate them out of different noun/text blocks smiley: smile You can already rename ships, fleets, planets, etc. It's just the same thing only for planets.

As for why - well, I suppose the easiest way is to look at the picture above and imagine them labelled as Star, Orbit, with a bunch of output figures. It's not exactly what I'd call involving.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 12, 2012, 12:00:18 AM
Flavour text is rarely a bad idea and I think it is a fine idea here.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 13, 2012, 12:45:37 AM
Theodemir wrote:
+1smiley: approval Never underestimate the power of immersion. If I colonise, build and mould a planet to my will and slap a name of my choosing to it, its mine! That little personal touch would give it more ownership. One could also use the suggestion as a reminder, what they want to turn the planet into if you're not so inclined to personalise your planets. Slave Labour Alpha, Oxford Uni Beta, Wall Street Delta etc. Certainly better than Barren, Arid, Tundra, Jungle...

@ FinalStrigon I can't imagine adding a text variable to the game will be a major undertaking. AI could simply have a random name picked from a list.

What he said. ^^^

The more customization the better...always.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 13, 2012, 12:54:59 AM
TheVulture98 wrote:
What he said. ^^^

The more customization the better...always.

Can you rename individual planets?
0Send private message
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment