Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Upon creation of new variants of ships, update ques with new variants

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Jul 11, 2012, 9:31:28 PM
It'd be great for ques to automatically update their build orders with the new variant. It's very tedious to go into each que after you create a new variant of a ship and have to redo the entire thing, especially given the cumbersome nature of the ques right now.
0Send private message
0Send private message0Send private message0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 12, 2012, 8:38:01 AM
I have to say "no" for three reasons:

1.) An updated queue will also update the time it takes to build them. Let's say you need an emergency-fleet, quick. So you build them at they take only one round. Then they get updated and it takes two or three rounds. Especially if the player doesn't notice the longer build time, expects the fleet next turn and is then caught by surprise...

2.) What if you update the build with a new kind of weapon that needs an element / material you don't have yet? Titanium-70 for rockets, Hyperium for lasers? What should the game do, simply cancel all the build orders automatically? I wouldn't want that. Again, if you miss that and the fleet is not in the queue next round you scratch your head, trying to find out what went wrong.

3.) There is simply no need. You can insta-update them once they're build and created. Simply go to the fleet-screen, click on the fleet, insta-upgrade them, and only then send them on their way. It's very convenient I'd say.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 12, 2012, 2:08:06 PM
GODzilla wrote:
1.) An updated queue will also update the time it takes to build them. Let's say you need an emergency-fleet, quick. So you build them at they take only one round. Then they get updated and it takes two or three rounds. Especially if the player doesn't notice the longer build time, expects the fleet next turn and is then caught by surprise...

Legitimate concern. The game could throw a "There are old designs in queues. Update?" dialog.

2.) What if you update the build with a new kind of weapon that needs an element / material you don't have yet? Titanium-70 for rockets, Hyperium for lasers? What should the game do, simply cancel all the build orders automatically? I wouldn't want that. Again, if you miss that and the fleet is not in the queue next round you scratch your head, trying to find out what went wrong.

Or it could do the same thing it already does when you lose access to a strategic resource when building a ship that requires it: set its build time to 999.

Same thing happens when you try to build a colony ship and the system drops to 1 population.

This is a non-issue

3.) There is simply no need. You can insta-update them once they're build and created. Simply go to the fleet-screen, click on the fleet, insta-upgrade them, and only then send them on their way. It's very convenient I'd say.

But that costs dust, and people don't always have the dust to do that (for very large designs, the build time is increased by a factor of about 10%, but the dust retrofit cost triples, as that cost is based on the FULL industry value of the new design, and a 5000 production ship costs 10000 dust to retrofit...multiply by 10 unbuilt ships, compared to an extra 10 turns of production). Oh, and it causes the fleets to be unmovable for a turn, and! it means that not only do we 1) update the design 2) retrofit all current designs, but also! have to remember to go back and retrofit all the ships that have not yet been built!

I'd much rather deal with the fallout from issue 1.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 12, 2012, 3:55:08 PM
smiley: approvalUpdating queues

I think the best approach would be to update any fleet "Not currently in production", meaning the ship being produced now would be the old design. The next ship in the queue, that has yet to be started, should be updated to the newer design.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 12, 2012, 5:49:51 PM
CmdrNoval wrote:
smiley: approvalUpdating queues

I think the best approach would be to update any fleet "Not currently in production", meaning the ship being produce now would be the old design. The next ship in the queue that has yet to be started, should be updated to newer design.

Precisely. Any that have been partially built would be tricky to make work "right"

(If it's ok to convert one that had 1 smiley: industry completed, is it then ok to convert one that has all but 1 smiley: industry completed? And then work backwards from there: what percentage (if >0%) would be the cutoff?)
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 12, 2012, 10:53:24 PM
Draco18s wrote:
Legitimate concern. The game could throw a "There are old designs in queues. Update?" dialog.

Or it could do the same thing it already does when you lose access to a strategic resource when building a ship that requires it: set its build time to 999.

Same thing happens when you try to build a colony ship and the system drops to 1 population.

This is a non-issue

But that costs dust, and people don't always have the dust to do that (for very large designs, the build time is increased by a factor of about 10%, but the dust retrofit cost triples, as that cost is based on the FULL industry value of the new design, and a 5000 production ship costs 10000 dust to retrofit...multiply by 10 unbuilt ships, compared to an extra 10 turns of production). Oh, and it causes the fleets to be unmovable for a turn, and! it means that not only do we 1) update the design 2) retrofit all current designs, but also! have to remember to go back and retrofit all the ships that have not yet been built!

I'd much rather deal with the fallout from issue 1.

Mhm...good arguments there. Guess I'll have to agree to that. ^^
0Send private message
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment