Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Multiple Missile Salvos

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Jul 21, 2012, 10:07:12 AM
I've no doubt similar suggestions have already been made in other general weapons discussions threads, but I wanted a thread to propose and discuss the pros and cons of this specific - if hazy - idea of mine.

I also realise that the balance requirements are a lot more complex than I present here, not least because of the corresponding adjustment to flak that would be required. (This is obviously in conjunction with other missile issues like this, in order to tweak missiles but obviously not overpower them.)

The issue is one that people often bring up in weapons discussions - lasers are best; ordinance tends to waste shots by firing everything at one target that might be dead before the missiles even get there. I'm leaving aside lasers for now, in the hopes that a tweaked missile mechanic might partially even out the balance itself.

So with all that waffle out of the way:

• What if missile mods fired two salvos per round?

Naturally this means that we halve a number of other things, primarily damage. In addition to that the time taken to reach the target and the time taken to fire the next salvo would be reduced by half also.

That way one salvo can reach the enemy vessel and do its damage (or not as the case may be) and the attacker can then fire a second salvo and a new target or at the same one if needs be.

Hopefully, this keeps the total damage output level, but means that fewer shots will be wasted. I also hope and feel that this would reduce the tendency for missiles to be regarded as a glass cannon missile and little else, instead becoming a valid weapon for long-term engagements.

I'm not yet sure how this affects things like flak evasion, much less how to tweak them to balance any new multiple-salvo missile mechanic.

(This is also tied slightly to my desire to see the three phases of combat actually get used. As it is everything gets done in the long-range phase. Not only that but there are about 3 or 4 'cookie-cutter' ship building strategies being recomended on the forum - which seems a bit boring and something any game ought to avoid encouraging - all of which tend to presume that long range is the phase that everything will and should happen. I'm not sure about how to go about fixing that.)
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 21, 2012, 11:14:28 AM
I believe thats already mentioned in the Suggestion threat Bigger Weapons smiley: wink
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 21, 2012, 10:19:29 PM
Doi! Really? I swear I didn't see that. Oh well, it's as a seperate suggestion here as well I guess, for whatever worth that is.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 22, 2012, 6:50:31 PM
Nomas wrote:
I believe thats already mentioned in the Suggestion threat Bigger Weapons smiley: wink

Nah, "Bigger Weapons" is different smiley: biggrin
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 23, 2012, 5:54:29 AM
I agree with this idea. Another "hidden issue" with missiles are retreats. Because retreats are resolved in the first two phases, missiles will never hit a retreating fleet. So I think firing them sooner and more often makes a lot more sense.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 23, 2012, 10:36:44 AM
gameshoes wrote:
Nah, "Bigger Weapons" is different smiley: biggrin
Ahh good, so maybe there is a point to me making this then.

Stalker0 wrote:
I agree with this idea. Another "hidden issue" with missiles are retreats. Because retreats are resolved in the first two phases, missiles will never hit a retreating fleet. So I think firing them sooner and more often makes a lot more sense.
I've noticed that too. OK, I kind of like it when it's my scout or fleet escaping, but it still feels a little off. Multiple salvos might also even out the fact that you retreat in the long range phase, when missiles are meant to be most effective - you still escape, you still get damaged, but you don't recieve every salvo and so you still might survive.

I've also gotten a little bored of just watching really slow moving missiles gradually make their way towards the enemy (or me). It's just a cosmetic issue, but more 'zippy' missiles would be a nice bonus to multiple missile salvos.
0Send private message
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment