Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Allow a fleet to "dock" at a system for repair/retrofit

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Jul 27, 2012, 8:39:37 PM
Hopefully the devs will see this thread because having something like a greater repair rate in the hanger should be a pretty easy thing to put in. But you never know.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 5, 2012, 8:05:36 PM
Repairing ships in hangars has been proposed here: /#/endless-space/forum/28-game-design/thread/12307-star-system-hangar-actions

Retrofitting ships in hangars has been proposed here: /#/endless-space/forum/28-game-design/thread/12304-possibility-to-retrofit-ships-in-hangar

Linked to both former threads, moved to the archives.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 30, 2012, 4:38:36 PM
Sounds like a great idea smiley: approval to be honest when i started my first game i was looking for a way to repair my ships besides the natural repair system it facilitates on the ships itself..

Having the ability to Rush repairs as a cost of smiley: industry sounds like a great plan to me! i hope they will consider to implement this idea
0Send private message
0Send private message0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 28, 2012, 5:07:13 PM
2 SomeoneStrange

Please, add "poll". Quoting "jetkar": "...but I need you to submit a poll with your suggestion in order for the Dev Team to consider further" (link)
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 28, 2012, 4:44:23 PM
Going to go ahead and chime in here to show support - I think it's definitely a good idea and something that should be considered.

As an additional point using the industry of the system to repair/retrofit ships would make well established systems that much more valuable as opposed to young under-developed ones, or systems that are frequently being invaded and left unhappy. It makes sense to have to send your ships home from the front lines for such things, and if you happen to be the defender, it gives you a 'home team' advantage!
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 28, 2012, 2:58:13 PM
SomeoneStrange wrote:
Then let's keep posting so it stays here! I'm personally more interested in getting retrofits than repairs, but either of the two would be a welcome addition to this game that I can't seem to stop playing.

Yep. I think the retrofit could go by the same mechanic. If you want to retrofit using industry vs. dust then you need to get the ships in the hanger and then a building as you suggest to convert industry to retrofit could be queued up.

It would also be nice to get an alert on the right side to let us know when ships have been repaired or retrofitted so we know they are ready to fleet up again and go back to the frontlines.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 27, 2012, 9:26:20 PM
shibby191 wrote:
Hopefully the devs will see this thread because having something like a greater repair rate in the hanger should be a pretty easy thing to put in. But you never know.

Then let's keep posting so it stays here! I'm personally more interested in getting retrofits than repairs, but either of the two would be a welcome addition to this game that I can't seem to stop playing.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 26, 2012, 6:54:39 PM
Hey all, this is my first suggestion, and criticism is welcome if you've got it!

Right now, the only option for a player to retrofit their ships is to cough up a hefty amount of Dust - so much so that in a lot of games I'll just send my ships on suicide missions while building newer ones to replace them. At the same time, the only option to repair ships effectively, is to fit repair modules onto them, and let them sit idle for a few turns - all the Dust in the universe can't possibly fix them.

To be honest, it seems pretty silly that while I can crank out new ships using my infrastructure, I can't fix or refit the old ones with the same infrastructure.

The idea is pretty simple:

1. A fleet should be able to "dock" in a system, where they can be queued up for repair and/or retrofit, with an industry cost based on the modules, ships, and amount of damage. The cost should be such that, unless the system used for repairs has a significant industry output, it would take 10 or 20 turns to complete - meaning that a player must use a good system, or risk having their fleet be obsolete by the time the job is done.

2. Once a fleet has docked for R&R, it cannot undock until the process is complete, to prevent exploitation on the front lines. The job could be queued like any other job though, so players would not have to interrupt their current production.

3. (Optional) If needed for balance issues, a system improvement (Orbital Shipyard perhaps?) could be built that would either enable this feature, or reduce its cost.

4. The ability to retrofit via Dust would remain. The advantage to using it, is that you could upgrade your fleet instantly in any system you own, rather than flying them back to a heavily industrialized system, leaving your front lines exposed.

5. (Optional) The ability to repair ships in your systems through Dust use could be added in order to provide a supplemental Dust sink. Right now, retrofits are where most of the Dust players earn goes, so they would probably need an alternative place to spend it. At the same time, it would emphasize the fact that Dust offers tactical flexibility to the player, and should be used carefully.

If anyone has suggestions for this, especially on how to preserve balance and prevent exploits, I would love to hear them!
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 27, 2012, 4:49:09 PM
I like this idea, too. And I am quite shocked that this mechanic doesn't exist already. How about an "smiley: industry to repair" - conversion? Like "100% smiley: industry is repaired in HP per round".
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 27, 2012, 4:25:05 PM
shibby191 wrote:
I like these ideas.

For repair I think a simple thing to do would be if you put your ships in the hanger (dock) then the repair rate goes up. Maybe double the repair rate which can be increased by a new system improvement (like the Orbital Shipyard idea). This would make it pretty simple to do. Also mimics games like Civ 4, units repair quicker when in a city vs out in the wild. This would accomplish the same thing...normal repair rate out in space or even when in a system, but disband and dock them in the hanger and the repair rate goes up.

Honestly I thought this is how it would work when I played my first game and I was disappointed that it didn't work the way I expected it.

You know, that's a good idea too. Fleets already heal when in hangar, so making them heal faster seems to be a pretty simple affair. I'd be perfectly alright with paying an industrial cost for an accelerated repair process though.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 27, 2012, 3:18:21 PM
I like these ideas.

For repair I think a simple thing to do would be if you put your ships in the hanger (dock) then the repair rate goes up. Maybe double the repair rate which can be increased by a new system improvement (like the Orbital Shipyard idea). This would make it pretty simple to do. Also mimics games like Civ 4, units repair quicker when in a city vs out in the wild. This would accomplish the same thing...normal repair rate out in space or even when in a system, but disband and dock them in the hanger and the repair rate goes up.

Honestly I thought this is how it would work when I played my first game and I was disappointed that it didn't work the way I expected it.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 27, 2012, 2:38:56 PM
You are welcome. I am sorry I didn't respond to your other bulletins. That doesn't mean I don't like them I just don't know what to add or change. With so many areas that this games can be improved upon it is difficult to make educated guesses what might be a balanced change and what not.

The only issue that I have with it is that it doesn't make sense for me to pay the full Dust price for retrofitting then. If the Industry cost is low enough to prefer retrofitting over building new ships but high enough to prevent instant switching in low Industry systems I don't see why paying a reduced amount of Dust should be a problem. If we are talking about 40% of the cost of a new ship that should be reasonably much Dust that one has to invest.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 27, 2012, 2:24:24 PM
vyolin wrote:
Generally speaking I like this idea a lot. I would compute the Industry costs as follows: 2x (new costs - old costs) + 0.2x new cost (to prevent weapon switching for no cost). This way it would be significantly quicker to retrofit old designs rather than create new ones. This would of course only apply to designs whose industry cost has not increased overly. Hopelessly outdated designs would still mean quite an investment.

The ideas for repair I like, too, but there is so much left to do in this field (in fight repair rate vs normal repair rate) that I would refrain from any such ideas for now.

Thanks for the feedback! I admit, I hadn't thought about weapon switching for no cost at all, so I'm glad someone else caught that one. Also, I understand that all the thoughts made there are a pretty tall order, which is why about half of them I've listed as "optional" changes.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 27, 2012, 8:29:26 AM
Generally speaking I like this idea a lot. I would compute the Industry costs as follows: 2x (new costs - old costs) + 0.2x new cost (to prevent weapon switching for no cost). This way it would be significantly quicker to retrofit old designs rather than create new ones. This would of course only apply to designs whose industry cost has not increased overly. Hopelessly outdated designs would still mean quite an investment.

The ideas for repair I like, too, but there is so much left to do in this field (in fight repair rate vs normal repair rate) that I would refrain from any such ideas for now.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment