Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Custom races usable by AI

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Aug 14, 2012, 11:38:01 AM
I would like 2 additions to current custom races:

1) My custom races should save. They can require very long and complicated thought process to create in the first place. I should at least be able to use it in next new game.

(I mean, there don't need to be any separate Save and Load buttons for races... Just to always remember the configs that i made.)

2) Let me select some of my created races to the AI players.

Extras for custom races:

- Show little more what the ships look like. Some are very vague, for example Pilgrims.

- Selecting technology in custom race screen is only showing the tech name and brief description, this is not helping. I would need to know what actual devices and possibilities that certain tech opens.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 16, 2012, 5:48:33 AM
I do agree with you on your second suggestions heavily, that would allow us to create our own personal lore or backstory for our custom scenarios, or likewise simply spice things up more.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 16, 2012, 12:30:24 PM
I'm confused...

What do you mean by they should save? When I create a custom race, and I have a few, they don't disappear after I've used them or edited them. They stay right in the race selection screen.

And I disagree with the AI being able to play them. Seeing as the faction AI is tailored to how a faction is more or less supposed to play, giving them custom factions could make them easier to beat than ever. It isn't set up to take advantage of, for example, a UE-based faction set up for a Science win. The AI would play that faction like the typical UE, and focus on industry and dust, I believe.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 16, 2012, 6:58:56 PM
FinalStrigon wrote:
I'm confused...

What do you mean by they should save? When I create a custom race, and I have a few, they don't disappear after I've used them or edited them. They stay right in the race selection screen.

You can use the custom race for that specific game you are starting. But when you finish the game and start new one, you'll notice that the custom race you created, is gone.

As for custom races for AI, you have thousands of choices. A few:

- Give all races eternal war. Everyone is unable to sign peace treaties, and you can have a game completely free of any trading, with races you like.

- Obviously a beginner player (or someone after just fun time) can make race that has all negative points, to make it easy.

- Or on contrary make a race that is more difficult than any other.

- Make all races good traders, or scientists, or crazy colonizers.

... i think point is clear? smiley: stickouttongue
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 16, 2012, 7:11:29 PM
Zaflis wrote:
You can use the custom race for that specific game you are starting. But when you finish the game and start new one, you'll notice that the custom race you created, is gone.

As for custom races for AI, you have thousands of choices. A few:

- Give all races eternal war. Everyone is unable to sign peace treaties, and you can have a game completely free of any trading, with races you like.

- Obviously a beginner player (or someone after just fun time) can make race that has all negative points, to make it easy.

- Or on contrary make a race that is more difficult than any other.

- Make all races good traders, or scientists, or crazy colonizers.

... i think point is clear? smiley: stickouttongue

You might want to report a bug, then. My custom races aren't gone after a game is played with them...

And I still disagree with the AI playing custom races. It would be nice, but they're still designed to play the different affinities of the pre-designed classes in certain ways. Giving them customs factions, no matter how they're set up, would probably just leave the AI baffled. And most people agree that the AI is a bit of a mess now, anyway.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 16, 2012, 7:17:45 PM
Well, i can imagine the save bug could have happened if i crashed my game, and the races were save-on-exit only. That would be sort of a bug too though, maybe i'll test more some time.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 20, 2012, 7:39:58 PM
Well, the first point is a bug, if it occured, not default. Since it is moot, I renamed the thread to only reflect suggestion #2, which has already been proposed here: /#/endless-space/forum/28-game-design/thread/12373-suggestion-allow-ai-to-play-custom-races

This thread has been linked to the former and is moved to the archives.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment