Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Proposed tweak to the system view to stop me getting motion sickness

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Sep 5, 2012, 8:30:30 AM
Fenrakk101 wrote:
Well what else do we have to go on? It's not like tilting the screen makes the UI more intuitive.

I still stand by my argument that you can only see the system's star when tilting to the right completely.

Anyway, what resolution are you running the game in? As far as I can tell, the game will snap colonists to planets as you hover near them, so the only real difficulty in moving citizens is just selecting them, not placing them, and picking them up from the far left planet in a six-planet system hasn't been a laborious task for me.
1. Why do you NEED to see the star at all in the system view? It has no impact on gameplay. You might want to, but that is secondary to functionality.

2. My resolution is 1920x1080. The issue isn't I can't see the colonists, it's that the planets are constantly dancing around whilst I'm trying to grab the colonist to move it. Again, where is the value in this?

3. It has little to do with speed of game play, it's about making something you need to do that is currently tediously over hard (moving colonists when the system view is moving all the time) simpler and easier to do to improve the gameplay experience.

Again, do you have any arguments beyond "it looks nice and I want to see the star because it looks pretty"?
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 15, 2012, 10:15:35 PM
Please add a toggle. Or change it so the system moves when you click and drag, not just any time you move the mouse.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Sep 30, 2012, 12:03:26 PM
I agree that movin pop would be easier if the planets didn't move. But in order to please everyone, perhaps we could just have a toggle function implemented.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Sep 25, 2012, 9:41:48 PM
ferretersmith wrote:
Why am I just now realizing you can move colonists from planet to planet... That will certainly improve my performance in the future.

As for the issue with the system view. It doesn't bother me, but if it bothers others than the ability to toggle wouldn't hurt.

It took me a few games to notice you could populate planets that way... I felt so stupid when I figured it out. It definitely made the game noticeably less difficult.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Sep 25, 2012, 4:33:15 PM
Fenrakk101 wrote:
I don't have a problem with moving population around. Maybe it has to do with me playing the game in 1600 x 900 resolution; I guess on lower resolutions, it would be harder to click exactly where you want.

I play on 1080p and I have trouble sometimes, so no.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Sep 24, 2012, 9:10:38 PM
Why am I just now realizing you can move colonists from planet to planet... That will certainly improve my performance in the future.

As for the issue with the system view. It doesn't bother me, but if it bothers others than the ability to toggle wouldn't hurt.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Sep 12, 2012, 8:20:54 PM
Okay - thanks for that clarification smiley: smile

Yes I understand what you're saying. I think what I should have said is "who wants planets swinging around to the point where it gets in the way of your gaming experience when you move your mouse?". I have no issue with the aesthetic effect, and on the whole think ES is all the superior for the minor touches, it's just this niggle and how it tangibly negatively affects my gaming experience that I don't like.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Sep 12, 2012, 2:47:45 AM
Illuminatiprimus wrote:
So the solution is to have a high end mouse on a game that is, as far as I can tell, supposed to run on a middle road system? Shall I take it this suggestion isn't going to be seriously considered due to the consistently negative responses?

Well I didnt mean to sound so negative, your problem is clearly valid. I just wanted to make sure that we wouldn't lose something that I believe is a lovely touch and adds life to the system interface screen. A toggle in the options would be a good idea I believe to make the game more accessible.

I have a bad habit of seeming incredibly confrontational in text based interactions. Without putting words in his mouth fenrakk101 seems to be similar from what ive seen in various threads smiley: stickouttongue

It was this line in your original post that i was reacting too: "(I mean really, who wants the planets in your system view swinging around all the time when you move the mouse?)"

Some of us really do like it.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Sep 11, 2012, 10:48:51 PM
So the solution is to have a high end mouse on a game that is, as far as I can tell, supposed to run on a middle road system? Shall I take it this suggestion isn't going to be seriously considered due to the consistently negative responses?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Sep 6, 2012, 9:02:49 PM
Illuminatiprimus wrote:
How do you prevent the system view moving when you try and select a colonist? No snark, I genuinely want to know. The planets move as the mouse pointer moves so it can make it extremely fiddly.

It's not that our view isn't moving, we just don't have any issues compensating for it (as chromodynamics pointed out). I also have a pretty good mouse, so maybe that has something to do with it as well.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Sep 6, 2012, 8:54:58 PM
Illuminatiprimus wrote:
How do you prevent the system view moving when you try and select a colonist? No snark, I genuinely want to know. The planets move as the mouse pointer moves so it can make it extremely fiddly.

I never really thought about it before, but it seems I just compensate for the movement. I do have a very sensitive mouse (3200 dpi set to max) as well which probably helps.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Sep 6, 2012, 7:09:03 PM
chromodynamics wrote:
My argument is I have no problems moving colonists. I dont have any issues clicking them correctly at all.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Sep 5, 2012, 4:39:14 PM
Illuminatiprimus wrote:
1. Why do you NEED to see the star at all in the system view? It has no impact on gameplay. You might want to, but that is secondary to functionality.

2. My resolution is 1920x1080. The issue isn't I can't see the colonists, it's that the planets are constantly dancing around whilst I'm trying to grab the colonist to move it. Again, where is the value in this?

3. It has little to do with speed of game play, it's about making something you need to do that is currently tediously over hard (moving colonists when the system view is moving all the time) simpler and easier to do to improve the gameplay experience.

Again, do you have any arguments beyond "it looks nice and I want to see the star because it looks pretty"?

My argument is I have no problems moving colonists. I dont have any issues clicking them correctly at all.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Sep 5, 2012, 12:05:46 PM
Illuminatiprimus wrote:

Because it's the little things like that that keep me interested in constantly playing the game - or any game with small quirks like that. The gameplay could be incredible, but if the game is not interesting from a presentation standpoint then there's nothing to keep me engaged. Aesthetics may be second to gameplay, but they're not negligible, and you can't sacrifice one or the other on a whim.

Illuminatiprimus wrote:

My argument is that there are people who want to keep the system because we can afford to spend an extra second picking colonists properly. In fact, I've had absolutely zero issues with trying to pluck colonists. So maybe you're just not that coordinated. In any case, if they added a toggle for it, it would make us both happy.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 28, 2012, 7:53:01 PM
Say what you like about this game, it's pretty. VERY pretty. I love the aesthetic of the UI and engine in general and one of the things I really like is the system view. Except for one thing, that is.

When you move your mouse to the edge of the star system view it shifts the camera slightly so that the planets move a little. I imagine this was done to make the view more dynamic and pleasant looking. It is, however:

a) a pain in the backside to fight against sometimes when you're trying to mouse over a planet or click it and

b) motion sickness inducing when you're having to do a lot of planet click ons, such as when you get access to a new terraforming technology and you need to go into and out of a lot of planets in one turn.

What I am certain is supposed to be a very minor visual effect there purely for aesthetic reasons is actually detracting from my experience of playing the game. Can I suggest that it's either deactivated (I mean really, who wants the planets in your system view swinging around all the time when you move the mouse?) or have some option for "static system view" in one of the menus? It would make playing the game without a bucket next to me an option again. Thanks devs!
0Send private message
12 years ago
Sep 2, 2012, 11:04:55 AM
Let me put it this way... I don't like wasting time whilst I'm already "wasting time". smiley: sarcastic
0Send private message
12 years ago
Sep 2, 2012, 10:58:56 AM
Insolentius wrote:
It is a problem for anyone who prefers functionality over appearance and the ones who don't move their mouse around at a snail's pace. It impedes system management at the cost of "looking pretty". No, just no.

So you play turn-based games and can't spend a half a second slowing down to pick up a little smiley: stickouttongueopulation: thing? How do you drive safely?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Sep 2, 2012, 10:57:11 AM
It is a problem for anyone who prefers functionality over appearance and the ones who don't move their mouse around at a snail's pace. It impedes system management at the cost of "looking pretty". No, just no.

The game needs an option to toggle it off.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Sep 2, 2012, 10:33:18 AM
Well what else do we have to go on? It's not like tilting the screen makes the UI more intuitive.

I still stand by my argument that you can only see the system's star when tilting to the right completely.

Anyway, what resolution are you running the game in? As far as I can tell, the game will snap colonists to planets as you hover near them, so the only real difficulty in moving citizens is just selecting them, not placing them, and picking them up from the far left planet in a six-planet system hasn't been a laborious task for me.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Sep 2, 2012, 10:28:03 AM
True - generally in thinking about features I weigh on the side of something being removed or that you can toggle off it if it gets in the way of actual gameplay, and I think this is a feature that does (again particularly when reassigning colonists). The people arguing against it seem to be doing so purely on an aesthetic basis and I don't think that's a strong enough argument.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Sep 1, 2012, 9:40:17 PM
Illuminatiprimus wrote:
Maybe it doesn't even need to be anything as drastic as an option, perhaps just a hotkey that "holds" the system view?

Then you would have to press it every time you entered a system, and people would keep complaining.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Sep 1, 2012, 9:38:47 PM
Evil4Zerggin wrote:
Due to this behavior, trying to move population between planets is easily the most difficult part of the game.
I forgot to mention this - it makes what should be a simple job extremely fiddly. Maybe it doesn't even need to be anything as drastic as an option, perhaps just a hotkey that "holds" the system view?
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 31, 2012, 4:08:24 AM
I don't have a problem with moving population around. Maybe it has to do with me playing the game in 1600 x 900 resolution; I guess on lower resolutions, it would be harder to click exactly where you want.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 30, 2012, 5:16:48 PM
Agreed. The movement of the planets looks nice but it's annoying and a very bad UI design decision. Really, moving targets is a big no in UX design.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 28, 2012, 11:50:40 PM
Due to this behavior, trying to move population between planets is easily the most difficult part of the game.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 28, 2012, 8:32:28 PM
Illuminatiprimus wrote:
Can I suggest that it's either deactivated (I mean really, who wants the planets in your system view swinging around all the time when you move the mouse?)

I love how it moves. Its a nice little touch. So maybe a toggle could be added.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 28, 2012, 8:25:59 PM
Illuminatiprimus wrote:
I mean really, who wants the planets in your system view swinging around all the time when you move the mouse?

I do. It lets me get a better view of some of the planets - for example, when you mouse all the way to the left, you can see the system's sun, but not when it's in the center or to the right.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 28, 2012, 8:09:52 PM
This feature doesn't make me sick to my stomach, but I agree it does get annoying when I go to hover over anomalies or planet types to read the tooltips (when the planet is far left or far right on screen), or when I want to click the arrow button at the left/right edge to cycle to the next system.

@OP: Looks like you had an amoeba for lunch... oO'
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment