Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Peaceable Takeover of AI Star Systems

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Nov 20, 2012, 1:14:25 AM
When playing with AI, and all Star Systems are claimed, there doesn't seem to be a way to peaceably expand. When I have Star Systems with influence areas completely surrounding and blotting out the Star System of an AI player, there should be some sort of path to obtaining that Star System peaceably. When negotiating with the AI, it won't even let me request one of their Star Systems in a trade. What if I had some amazing offer that blew their mind, like a million dust?

Since you cannot colonize empty Star Systems that are in the influence of another player, I don't see why an influence area covering a different player's Star System has no effect on its ownership. Shouldn't the Star System's inhabitants be upset that they are constantly under the influence of a rival faction?

Much the same way it takes a certain number of turns for an outpost to turn into a colony, maybe if a Star System is under a different player's influence area for a certain number of turns it should change hands?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Nov 20, 2012, 1:25:05 AM
Thanks for the feedback. Each system has a happiness level, which is affected by whether they are inside an enemy's region of influence. Movement is is also prevented in some cases. It is possible, in some cases depending on the threat level, to transfer systems by diplomacy. But, there is no way to "culture flip" or convert a system to different ownership based on influence. This is a primary design decision.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Nov 20, 2012, 2:12:22 AM
Thanks for the response. I like playing the game with absolutely no military and seeing how well I do. Is it possible for the AI to see me as an economic/scientific threat enough for them to consider trading me a Star System despite me having no military? I haven't been able to request one from them as of yet. I find it a little disheartening that I can't try to dominate the galaxy and get an expansion victory purely through trade and politics.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Nov 20, 2012, 11:43:03 AM
Hm, I would love to have these options improved. I usually love victory by diplomacy and peacefull occupation! When in an Alliance attacking an enemy, sometimes my Allie takes a System I needed, and I get Systems I don't need (strategicaly). So I'd like to trade Systems, but even when my offer is more promissing the the system I want, my Allie doesn't take any offer on that, what I find very dissapointing, since it would even be of more strategic value to him.

So, jeah: Systemtrading should be possible, but really expensive. Sometimes I just want to move in an Allie to a System between me and the enemy. Why shouldn't he accept the offer and give me something else for it?

And Influence could also help to take over enemy systems by rebellion, as proposed in the Expansion Pack Section. Would love to have more tech for and against it.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Nov 20, 2012, 4:18:57 PM
There is a system for .....system trade in the game already, I am sure there are prerequisites to using it.

However the idea of taking territory without force via culture is completely ridiculous, if the peaceful guy is influencing you, you kill him, if the peaceful guy can defend himself, then he can take the system by force.

Empires are defined by strength not peace, and it would be silly to have such a system in place.

However the influence range is not defined by you 'culture' because that would also be ridiculous, songs and mosaics didn't save the Romans.

Influence range is the range and control of the governing party "you" and is the extent your empire exercises its military, imperial and intelligence services, and should represent such things like trading restrictions, policing and intrigue operations.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Nov 21, 2012, 11:58:54 AM
Well, yeah that's a point. Perhaps we just need espionage and rebelliontriggering, supported by cultural or propaganda Influence.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Nov 21, 2012, 7:21:26 PM
Yes! Ideally there would also be a method of a system rebelling from their empire and making a new empire.... but that's probably a bit more advanced.

If you are able to have your influence sphere engulf a system, that should greatly increase your ability of acquiring the system "peaceably" via rebellion or purchase.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Nov 21, 2012, 8:56:10 PM
Well I feel it should reduce the systems natural happiness, and along with a revolution system that lets unhappy systems spawn pirate fleets to become independent should then allow you to conqueror a independent system while never leaving your territory.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Nov 21, 2012, 9:05:58 PM
Igncom1 wrote:
Well I feel it should reduce the systems natural happiness, and along with a revolution system that lets unhappy systems spawn pirate fleets to become independent should then allow you to conqueror a independent system while never leaving your territory.

Well those pirates would freak some people out, but the idea is good smiley: smile
0Send private message
12 years ago
Nov 21, 2012, 10:32:10 PM
Well ES Pirates is used as a wide term for anyone who isn't in a recognized empire.
0Send private message
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment