Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

[Question] Is it possible to enlarge the galaxy

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Jul 5, 2012, 12:44:38 PM
I wondered if it is possible to make the galaxy bigger. I tried to edit the GalaxySettings.xml File and change the line:

But if I try to just double all numbers, I can't create a game anymore, its just stuck loading. I think we would never reach a galaxy with 100~300 Billionen Stars like our Milkyway, but 800 Stars would be a start, and maybe in the End so many Stars like in Spore. Because this was pretty the only thing that was great in Spore: The size of the galaxy.

So my question ist, is the line just connected to a other line that has to be changed, or is the engine of the game just not made for such big galaxys?

Because I would love a (really) endless game, which would take 10 Real Life years, like the guy who played Civ2 for this time.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 5, 2012, 3:34:31 PM
that thing has been already discussed in the german forum here.

Ticc says, he needs 15-20 minutes for a 210 stars map, so it doesn't stuck, it just takes really long to generate.

800 stars would take hours to generate, maybe you just let your computer over night.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 5, 2012, 4:16:54 PM
But after the galaxy created, the code can handle this large map? So when you load a savegame from it, or at the End of a round with the calculating of the KI?

If yes this would be great.

Ok he said, that it would take the normal time. So lets create a huge galaxy.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 6, 2012, 12:57:51 AM
Ok i just did these settings ..GalaxySize Name="GalaxySizeHuge" NumStars="200" Width="300" NominalPlayers="8" StrategicResourceNumberPerType="50" LuxuryResourceTypes="32" works fine took about 5 mins to generate on an Intel i5 760 @ 3.2ghz 8gig ram.On turn 50 no crashes or problems.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 6, 2012, 1:00:00 AM
I have played with up to 250 systems...there is really no point.

First off you can only have 8 people, 250 system game is quite boring with no conflict or trade or contact for a long time.

Also, you will get memory crashes (by turn 200 for me) due to coding issues. This makes the game unplayable..

I have reduced it to 140 for now, but I still cannot play much past turn 250 due to "too many heap" memory error smiley: sad
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 6, 2012, 12:43:37 PM
Xervitus wrote:
I have played with up to 250 systems...there is really no point.

First off you can only have 8 people, 250 system game is quite boring with no conflict or trade or contact for a long time.

Also, you will get memory crashes (by turn 200 for me) due to coding issues. This makes the game unplayable..

I have reduced it to 140 for now, but I still cannot play much past turn 250 due to "too many heap" memory error smiley: sad

Havent got to turn 200+ yet,shame if thats the case seems odd it takes that many turns for it to show an error.I like having the slow start myself gives you chance to get your tech going smiley: smile.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 6, 2012, 1:29:35 PM
The enlarge of the galaxy would be just the start.

When I have time (after the university exams) I will look more into it, and also make the research ten times so long, and maybe some will make a mod that more players than 8 players can participate.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 6, 2012, 3:03:55 PM
Madpaddy wrote:
Havent got to turn 200+ yet,shame if thats the case seems odd it takes that many turns for it to show an error.

It's a memory error, so it only occurs after time.

Madpaddy wrote:
like having the slow start myself gives you chance to get your tech going smiley: smile

To each his own I suppose...I also like the slow start, but in my opinion the galaxy becomes so empty its boring and completely removes the incentive for war. If you do the math with 250 stars there is about 30 systems per empire without any interaction...at this point its like playing solitaire (imho).
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment