Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Modifying race/faction portraits?

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Jul 7, 2012, 3:48:58 PM
Does anyone know if it is currently possible to edit the Endless Space race/faction portraits and possibly the hologram on the diplomacy screen?

I'm primarily wishing to customize my custom factions to give them greater flavour, but I cannot for the life of me figure out where this is defined in the XML - if it's even in there.

Alternatively, where are the race portraits artwork files stored? At least then I can replace the portraits/etc.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 7, 2012, 4:16:12 PM
It is not possible today. Graphical assets will be the hardest to add/mod. Among graphics assets, the 2D ones (portraits, etc) will be easier, and 3D models will be harder. I am not sure whether the holograms are considered 2D or 3D in this game, they don't rotate so they may be 2D. Today all of the graphics assets are stored in one huge, binary, proprietary format. So getting into this and doing anything is hard. We will have to wait for modding updates from the dev team on that.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 7, 2012, 4:31:31 PM
Aw, that's a shame.

I think I'll shelve the game (outside of the occasional short games) for a while until there's an update from the developers on this, customizing the galaxy is a huge part of the enjoyment of a 4x game for me. Some people really enjoy ship design, some relish on trade and others prefer games with deep diplomacy, I just happen to enjoy customizability! And yes, that may sound terribly superficial, but it's just what I enjoy most.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 8, 2012, 6:47:22 AM
kweeky wrote:
I think I'll shelve the game (outside of the occasional short games) for a while until there's an update from the developers on this, customizing the galaxy is a huge part of the enjoyment of a 4x game for me. Some people really enjoy ship design, some relish on trade and others prefer games with deep diplomacy, I just happen to enjoy customizability! And yes, that may sound terribly superficial, but it's just what I enjoy most.

Well with customizability comes replayability, and replayability relies on player enjoyment. If I could add the fine details to make my gaming experience feel more personal, then customization and replayability go hand-in-hand. Haha, it's the one reason I play Skyrim every once in a while after checking out new mods and such (longshot example haha).

But yeah, it doesn't have to be just portraits, every fine detail that is customizable counts smiley: smile smiley: smile
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 10, 2012, 3:12:26 PM
I would have to hope tho that it would be posible to throw in some extra portraits for each race, like female pilgrim!!! pretty please.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 11, 2012, 11:28:01 AM
Would be nice to know what format/dimensions everything especially ship models are in. So that I can begin creating the ships to import later when the option is available. I have plans for a huge mod which will involve making a minimum of 36 new ships based and a huge amount of hero portraits based on previous artwork. Want to get started as soon as I can.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 11, 2012, 2:49:52 PM
Marielle wrote:
I would have to hope tho that it would be posible to throw in some extra portraits for each race, like female pilgrim!!! pretty please.

Yeah, I'd like to second this, at the very least. Even as a male gamer, I would like some variety for the various faction leader-pictures. Sins of a Solar Empire does it pretty well for example, offering a small selection of genders and looks for each faction.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 11, 2012, 9:30:04 PM
Hi guys, I would like creat the Predators nation. That will be possible ? if we can change the picture and holo and add predators ships.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment