Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

proposed gui changes

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Jul 5, 2012, 4:09:00 PM
davea wrote:
@ everybody else, go look into the xml!

https://www.games2gether.com/endless-space/forum/37-modding/thread/15656-all-your-xml-are-belong-to-us

Well, thanks for get them zipped (yay for us lazies!) smiley: biggrin

As I feared there are no file there for modifying the graphical interface, though it would be quite interesting to see, if xml were the path choosed, amplitude's approach to describe the assets, position, fonts, color, etc via xml (possibly a nightmare smiley: stickouttongue )

I guess I'll have to wait for the devteam to say something about :S

Ass an example what I'm trying to mod; first is original, second is a concept (no fancy graphics but moving around things and trying to improve readability and UX, imho)

0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 5, 2012, 7:07:39 PM
Those suggested changes to the UI look good, Xamataca.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 6, 2012, 5:38:13 AM
I like how Xamataca has moved the strategic/luxury resources up top next to the FIDS. I can see this being hated by some, but I personally prefer to have all 'numbers'-type resources in one area.

Maybe perhaps whilst unlocked, they appear at the bottom to gain your attention, but nestle at the top once access is gained? smiley: smile
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 6, 2012, 2:58:34 PM
flipstar wrote:
I like how Xamataca has moved the strategic/luxury resources up top next to the FIDS. I can see this being hated by some, but I personally prefer to have all 'numbers'-type resources in one area.

Maybe perhaps whilst unlocked, they appear at the bottom to gain your attention, but nestle at the top once access is gained? smiley: smile

Thanks Tyrenium, glad you like it.

@flipstar

Just what I was looking for. I want an "in your face" sight at fid/resources. You can still have the resources locked at the top following amplitude's rule of having them faded/gray untill unlocked, thus appearing full white/purple. I know there are people who won't like the way I like it (Amplitude's work is impressive and got me thinking about a bunch of questions about interface/turn game flow design), in fact I got some variations of it because I'm not sure of the readability.

Of course there is a lot to improve in my concept (normalizing colours, typography, the overall system box on top and the construction queue, etc)... UX and GUI needs a lot of work and it's time consuming iterating between a bunch of possibilities, balancing between aesthetic and usability... that's why I would like to know if we will be able to mod that part of the game smiley: smile

Btw, here is a link to a bigger pic:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/17131745/X_ee_system_ui.jpg
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 7, 2012, 8:47:10 AM
Xamataca wrote:

The ideas in that one are pure gold.

Grey for planets you don't own

Name of the system in big

Good anomalies in blue, bad in red

Resources above FIDS

Color coded Planet improvements (farms in green, dust in yellow, etc.)

But I don't see a reason to change the position of the FIDS number and FIDS icons.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 7, 2012, 4:49:59 PM
@Xamataca: I like your ideas as well, a lot of good things could be done to the UI. you should either make a discussion thread in this subforum or one in one of the mod-dedicated groups like the Mod-Tracker group I made.

Especially colors for the anomalies would be helpful, but we need more colors than just blue and red. Something like this:

Good Anomaly: Blue

Mixed Anomaly: (Fixed): Green

Mixed Anomaly: Yellow

Bad Anomaly (Fixed): Grey

Bad Anomaly: Red

I have some more ideas but we should take them to a dedicated place instead of cluttering this thread further.
0Send private message
0Send private message0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 11, 2012, 6:09:03 PM
VieuxChat wrote:
But I don't see a reason to change the position of the FIDS number and FIDS icons.

Wel I though I'd like a first sight of numbers (that's why I did colour them, so I could have a global sight in, say, food numbers by planet; just by colour) and avoid icons but then I realized that numbers and colours are very abstract and meaningless without any visual reference (not to talk about colour-blind people that would not be able to distinguish certain colour from other) so I added the icons again... but liked then in the "central part": I feel they hinder less the reading flow... but yeah, I can't tell for sure if it's the best place for them, it's just my interpretation.

@KNC

but what about...

Good Anomaly: Blue (or green)

Mixed Anomaly: (Fixed): Blue

Mixed Anomaly: Gray (blinking?)

Bad Anomaly (Fixed): we don't need text or colour, I mean, if there is NO anomaly because it's fixed...

Bad Anomaly: Red (blinking?)

Anyway, this is just speculation we don't know if it's possible to mod this :P
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 11, 2012, 7:04:28 PM
Xamataca wrote:
@KNC

but what about...

Good Anomaly: Blue (or green)

Mixed Anomaly: (Fixed): Blue

Mixed Anomaly: Gray (blinking?)

Bad Anomaly (Fixed): we don't need text or colour, I mean, if there is NO anomaly because it's fixed...

Bad Anomaly: Red (blinking?)

Anyway, this is just speculation we don't know if it's possible to mod this :P

Well gray is the equal to no color in this case. Why would you rather change it like that?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 11, 2012, 11:12:37 PM
The build queue definitely needs some help, would love to see some modded fixes for that.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment