Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Mod effects on Multiplayer

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Jul 16, 2012, 8:38:54 AM
For private multiplayer games, how do mods effect the game?

For example, I'm assuming all galaxy generation mods will work fine (assuming the generated galaxy file is shared from the host to all players)

But what about other mods?

Are all the games actions handled through the host's game?

Is there no syncing of calculations?
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 16, 2012, 3:09:06 PM
The question has been asked a few times but nobody has done the experiment, or at least nobody has published the results. Today the game does not really "support" modding so I suppose it does not do any basic checking. So the game will not even try to ensure everybody is using the same mods. That means there will be massive out-of-sync problems.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 16, 2012, 4:04:04 PM
otakudjr wrote:
For private multiplayer games, how do mods effect the game?

For example, I'm assuming all galaxy generation mods will work fine (assuming the generated galaxy file is shared from the host to all players)

But what about other mods?

Are all the games actions handled through the host's game?

Is there no syncing of calculations?

I think that it works IF everyone has same mod installed... should try but sadly got no ideas how I could test it easily.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 16, 2012, 4:17:42 PM
To test, take a mod with an obvious effect such as the corporate hero mod. Make sure everybody in the MP game has the mod installed. Verify before starting, by having each player start an SP game as pilgrim and create a corp hero. Check they can see the added abilities such as Deal Closer. Once confirming in SP, then start an MP game and see if there is any unexpected side effect.

As a second experiment, have one of the same players *uninstall* the mod, and then everybody start a new game. If the game gives any startup error, I would be pleasantly suprised. I expect this game should fail early with out of sync, as soon as one player hires a corp hero.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 16, 2012, 5:51:25 PM
davea wrote:
To test, take a mod with an obvious effect such as the corporate hero mod. Make sure everybody in the MP game has the mod installed. Verify before starting, by having each player start an SP game as pilgrim and create a corp hero. Check they can see the added abilities such as Deal Closer. Once confirming in SP, then start an MP game and see if there is any unexpected side effect.

As a second experiment, have one of the same players *uninstall* the mod, and then everybody start a new game. If the game gives any startup error, I would be pleasantly suprised. I expect this game should fail early with out of sync, as soon as one player hires a corp hero.

if you want good mod for testing I recommend heromod compilation... basically first changes are on character generation and as soon as person starts game there is enough action to see that something happens :P
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 16, 2012, 6:01:53 PM
I've done a little testing in multiplayer with my increased fleet cap mod and it seems to work without any issue at all. Not a hugely conclusive result but hopefully means that so long as the mod works in single player and both players have the same files, should be ok in MP too.

That said, the fun is in the testing right?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 16, 2012, 7:20:09 PM
@ omniste, thanks for the update. Can you try an experiment which should *fail*, where two different players have different mods installed? For example, player 1 has the fleet cap mod and player 2 does not. I am interested to know if the game detects this and refuses to start. I highly doubt it would.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 16, 2012, 8:20:41 PM
Just tried a MP game resuming from a prior save. I used Vanilla fleet cap, friend had increased. When he merged 2 fleets into a 'mod size' fleet it didnt appear on galactic map. We engaged in battle and each saw a different version. In mine, the 'legal' fleets appeared. On his computer, he had his entire 'mod size' fleet present. (Ie, we fought 2 seperate battles). Upon battle conclusion, I was able to resume the game (as host) but he crashed when attempting to return to galactic map.

Also tried hosting a brand new match. His game displayed the correct sized fleet limit and allowed him to create fleets of increased size whilst mine behaved normally with vanilla fleet limits.

Appears crash doesnt appear until the game is forced into trying to resolve the differences?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 16, 2012, 8:28:13 PM
That makes sense. When the game officially supports modding, I am sure it will checksum the files to prevent this type of mismatch leading to a crash. Thanks for confirming this detection is not yet present.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 17, 2012, 2:42:53 AM
As long as you all have the file it works fine. Otherwise I'd say desync is going to happen based on my knowledge of programming.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 17, 2012, 11:01:09 AM
i hope it will be like the galaxy gen that if the host got a mod everyone gets it for the game.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment