Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Experienced modder, stuck on a simple problem...

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Jul 26, 2012, 8:05:54 AM
Hey modders and devs of endless space, i've been making mods for a few other games recently, and i'm interested in working on endless space. I'm mildly experienced with xml, and have a decent understanding of Java and C++. This is probably going to seem really noobish of me, but when ever i edit sharedassets17.assets and relaunch the game, it wont load at all. It sits at the splash screen, and will often freeze up my computer entirely.... smiley: frown Any ideas?

Thanks in advance, R4PTURExDCT
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 26, 2012, 8:25:38 AM
Have you kept the offsets clean?

It has been said you must keep all starts and ends of xml files at the same address.

The safe path is to change a value, ie a 1 for a 2, or to any number from 0-9.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 26, 2012, 9:32:26 AM
Just make sure you don't remove any lines (I believe) and the file is the same byte-size

I believe its 2255064? or 2555064. Regardless, it checks.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 26, 2012, 10:25:21 AM
Hmm, how to explain this.

Basically there is several .xml files inside of gameassets17.assets files.

When game is started it checks whether size of those xmls is correct and if it is then it lets you start it.

It's rather wide spread missunderstanding that having correct byte size or having enough lines in that binary file is the thing what causes problems.

Basically your error happens because you edited one xml file and then removed stuff from other to keep size correct. (oh, I am sooo familiar with that)

I have learned that it's better to just edit one xml check whether game starts and then go to edit other one... helps one a lot.

Other option is that you have clear coding errors like missing statements or endings. That causes interesting things too but mostly you just shouldn't see object in game... I have just once so far managed to make nice loop :P
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 26, 2012, 10:58:52 AM
I doubt that no one can help you better than these couple posts unless you post what you are trying and how...

It's like saying: "my computer is broken" and not telling how smiley: wink. We are quite helpful and nice (though most in here can question this when it comes to me) in here so if you have problem with some code don't be afraid to ask... just remember to tell what you are doing and how. (if you forget how I just post my suggestion and that may not sometimes be easiest to implement if you don't don't know how)
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 26, 2012, 11:21:19 AM
Telpar29 wrote:
Have you kept the offsets clean?

It has been said you must keep all starts and ends of xml files at the same address.

The safe path is to change a value, ie a 1 for a 2, or to any number from 0-9.

Thanks, i keep my offsets in constant check, I've kept the address's the same, still the same problem.

Hupailija wrote:
Hmm, how to explain this.

Basically there is several .xml files inside of gameassets17.assets files.

When game is started it checks whether size of those xmls is correct and if it is then it lets you start it.

It's rather wide spread missunderstanding that having correct byte size or having enough lines in that binary file is the thing what causes problems.

Basically your error happens because you edited one xml file and then removed stuff from other to keep size correct. (oh, I am sooo familiar with that)

I have learned that it's better to just edit one xml check whether game starts and then go to edit other one... helps one a lot.

Other option is that you have clear coding errors like missing statements or endings. That causes interesting things too but mostly you just shouldn't see object in game... I have just once so far managed to make nice loop :P

ahh ok, The size mismatch may be the problem. I've been keeping the charecters to the same amount, and have been constantly checking them. I did change close to 300 lines or so.. That could be my problem, i'll take it slow from now.

I've also checked for misspelt words (which is possible, since i name my variables in other languages to keep them unique.) Thanks, i'll start from scratch, and change it slowly. smiley: biggrin
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment