I have spent some time today creating some new anomalies. But, apart from new descriptions and slightly different effects, I am not sure that much "interesting" can be done with these. Today we cannot add any graphics apart from small changes to the rim color/power and atmosphere color. The only effects which anomalies can have is to change the base FIDS/approval/pop cap of the planet.

Are there any tricks you can suggest with the xml to do "something different" with anomalies? I am looking for suggestions on the xml, not general suggestions on things that would be cool.

This thread contains a number of concepts:

https://www.games2gether.com/endless-space/forum/28-game-design/thread/12577-more-types-of-anomalies

One author "defekt" has sugested an interesting idea. The "reduction" of an anomaly via the adaptive colonies tech can actually have any effect which an anomaly could have. So, here is one idea:

Toxic Geodes

Enormous, naturally formed, mineral-lined geodes are present under the surface of this planet which are filled with highly toxic gases. While mining operations can be undertaken with some caution, advanced technology may discover a way to make these enormous voids habitable.

-1 Food

+1 Dust

+1 Industry

After reduction:

+2 Population

+1 Dust

+1 Industry

After reduction, the population cap is increased.

Another idea (also by the same author) is to give a random bonus after reduction:

Recent Impact

This planet was recently devastated by an impact from a previously unidentified solar body. With the help of advanced technology, rare properties brought to the planet by the impact body can be exploited.

-10 Approval

-2 Food

-1 Dust

After reduction:

20% chance of: +3 Food

20% chance of: +3 Science

20% chance of: +3 Industry

20% chance of: +3 Dust

20% chance of:

Although it is kind of a hack, we can implement this with five different anomalies, all using the same description, but with different reduction effects.

Any other things you can see to change in the xml?