Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Editing Galaxy Settings.XML--Access is denied?

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Jul 29, 2012, 2:22:06 PM
Hello everyone! Like others I too am looking for a way to have a true HUGE star map (currently huge is tiny to me at least). Well I was referred to this thread.

https://www.games2gether.com/endless-space/forum/34-faq/thread/14438-larger-maps-possible

With that being said I right clicked on the galaxysettings.xml file and clicked edit. Notepad opened and I put in the new numbers to define a "Huge Galaxy". When exiting it asks me to save so I do and it asks me are you sure you want to replace the current galaxysettings.xml i say yes then it says access is denied. Anyone else having this problem or know of a way I can get aorund it? I really would appreciate the help I want a really big map

UPDATE****

So I right clicked the file again and hit open with... well then I seen something that said XML editor so immediately I click on it and all it does is open up the .XML file in Internet Explorer but I cannot edit anything? Ugh

UPDATE 2****

Solved! I downloaded a free XML editing program called Syntext Serna Free 4.3! I would leave link but IDK the rules on links here but google that and I'm sure you'll be fine. Also just in case anyone else runs into this problem you might wanna close this but keep it around...just in case smiley: smile
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 29, 2012, 3:22:05 PM
Yeah, use a real XML editor. The default program on Windows is IE, which is worthless.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 29, 2012, 4:10:32 PM
Doctorword wrote:
umm kinda got that already boss lmao thanks

Just being Captain Obvious! ^..~
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 29, 2012, 6:18:03 PM
saving problems are a result of insufficient rights. File was either readonly or adminonly. More sophisticated programs ignore the first and ask about the second. But not notepad i think.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 30, 2012, 12:09:52 AM
aaOzymandias wrote:
I recommend notepad.exe smiley: wink

Hmm...

Doctorword wrote:
Notepad

then it says access is denied

Hmmmmmmmm....
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 30, 2012, 12:37:12 AM
Sounds like you made the horrible mistake of installing Steam (and thus Endless Space) into the default location (program files), which Windows just so happens to be overly protective of.

I suggest turning off your UAC (google it), and live a much more careless life - or if you're desperate for "dem microsaft proteczjuns" move the Steam folder to something such as C:\Games\Steam. Permission issues solved.

Ninjaedit: The exception to all of this being if the file you are trying to edit is in fact located in the documents folder - in which case I have no idea what is causing the silly permission issue (could still be UAC sillyness)
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 30, 2012, 3:28:23 PM
actually no i dont have my steam in a default location lol...but all is fine now with the program i have this question is answered lol
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 1, 2012, 11:01:39 AM
Draco18s wrote:
Hmm...

Hmmmmmmmm....

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

smiley: wink

Though, whenever I drag and drop something into notepad, I never get an access denied. So I still stand by my recommendation smiley: biggrin
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 3, 2012, 2:20:37 AM
aaOzymandias wrote:
Though, whenever I drag and drop something into notepad, I never get an access denied. So I still stand by my recommendation smiley: biggrin

Notepad is good for a great many things.

Reading/writing/editing XML is not one of them :P
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment