Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

any way to launch the game with mods running?

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Aug 16, 2012, 12:22:42 AM
just wondering if there is any way to launch the game with mods running already to avoid having to load twice? perhaps launch options in steam or in the exe?

thanks!

ps- awesome game, thanks guys!
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 16, 2012, 1:05:19 AM
In steam, in the launch options dialog box, put "+mod (directory name)".
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 16, 2012, 8:45:53 PM
davea wrote:
In steam, in the launch options dialog box, put "+mod (directory name)".

worked perfectly. thanks mate!
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 18, 2012, 4:53:47 PM
anyway to launch the game with more than 1 mod running? any plans for a mod-manager or any news on the ability to select more than one mod like in Skyrim etc etc..
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 18, 2012, 5:00:02 PM
The game is designed to support one mod. Good news: more work for mod developers! For N mods by different authors, 2^N different "merge mods" are eventually required. (Sarcasm alert, if you did not guess.)
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 19, 2012, 10:58:07 AM
Mod folders are very light in weight and number of files though, so it is easy to make merged versions if the player wants it.

What the modders should do is note in a readme file what files are modified in his mod and how to extract his localization keys.

Mods which do not alter the same files may work together, with the exception of localization which would require to merge all the mod related keys.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 19, 2012, 2:49:38 PM
If you are familiar with merging xml mods in other games, there are two cases of merging: easy merge, where each mod changes different files, and hard merge, where the two mods change some of the same files. For easy mods, I agree anybody can do it by copying files.

BTW, no mod should make changes to the localization file. If you create a small file with just your added/changed keys, and put it in the same directory as the localization file, the game will read it. To make mod merging easier, please do not edit the localization file.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 19, 2012, 3:01:39 PM
BTW, no mod should make changes to the localization file. If you create a small file with just your added/changed keys, and put it in the same directory as the localization file, the game will read it. To make mod merging easier, please do not edit the localization file.

Sure it's possible not to change localization file... it's just that have you ever tried to add stuff to traits without changing localization file? Or did you ever tried my compilation / hero mod...

After those 2 tries I have noticed that it's just more player friendly to edit localization file.

Of course if you are going to add just couple things it doesn't matter
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 19, 2012, 3:10:12 PM
Good point davea!

That's the only file that would easily be modified by all mods so it's good that we have an option to make our localization keys external.

I will extract the keys from the localization file to make it external.

Hupailja, he suggested to make them external when releasing the mod.

You can work the way you want before your mod gets anywhere close to "final release" but in the end it's better that we extract our mod keys from it, or we just break multi-modding.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 19, 2012, 3:19:50 PM
Hupailija wrote:
After those 2 tries I have noticed that it's just more player friendly to edit localization file.

If you change a key in the mod-specific localization file, it overrides what is in the main localization file. So this approach works for changing, as well as adding. Or did you ever try my community mod?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 19, 2012, 9:24:57 PM
Or did you ever try my community mod?

Uhm, I don't play this game... I don't try mods, if I am forced I may play my mod to turn 10 just to see how something works.

Quess I could start to download every mod and see how those are build, take everything what feels even bit sensible and leave majority of those mods out...
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment