Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Looking for assistance

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Aug 19, 2012, 2:12:42 AM
So, I am new to modding. Or rather, new to trying to mod games myself.

I regularly use other people's mods though.

I have been loving Endless Space. Downloaded it off TPB, tried it out, fell in love with it, bought it. Though I intentionally waited until it was taken off the steam sale that was going at the time. It is one of the most polished 4X games I have played.

So, what have I done?

I combined the more anomaly mod and the community bug fix mod. Fairly simple. Then I decided to go and make galaxies larger.

I modified the number of stars and width, for each category. I also added more categories: Huge, Gigantic, Enormous, Massive, Super Massive, Eternal. I also added sparse and dense versions of every category.

Once I learn more I am hoping to redo racial traits.

However, I would like some assistance regarding the sample trait that is in "FactionTrait.xml". The trait "TraitCreateFleetColonizers" does not function. I removed the hidden xml declaration, started a game. It didnt function. Does anyone know how to get it to function?

Has anyone discovered how to add new affinities?

Edit: Also, to the developers, what is the maximum number of star systems that the game can support, given a reasonably powerful computer (almost 4ghz quad core, hyper threading, 24gb of ram)?

Further Edit: Which XML file contains the information about ship types/ship components. Where would these files be placed when moved into a "modding/subdirectory" structure so as to not overwrite the original?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 19, 2012, 4:55:06 AM
I'm pretty sure that trait is designed to not be listed, you would have to manually add it to the traits list for it to work. Otherwise, you could manually add it to a race (hidden or not) and still have it work.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 19, 2012, 5:25:29 AM
orcus2190 wrote:
Did that. As I said. The problem is that the additional ships did not spawn.

It's just bit harder than that, you have to actually create bit more stuff to game actually understand what you want to do...

First we have to understand that affinity is trait (this is something that many won't still accept smiley: frown

Basically affinity in traits are:

[code]

[/code]

now the part which we find really interesting in this one is: TraitStartingShipColonizationTerran

This basically tells to game that under affinity there is subtrait called TraitStartingShipColonizationTerran. Next we want to find that trait:

[code]

[/code]

and it's here... now this is line which is interesting it tells trait to create ColonyShipTerranDesign.

to spawn 2 ships, you can either copy that line twice, add to arguments that ship twice or add to affinity that colonyship part twice:

[code]

[/code]

This basically tells how to spawn 10 colonizers at start.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 19, 2012, 5:27:01 AM
Also have you tried what happens if you completly remove Hidden parts of create fleet.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 19, 2012, 5:57:08 AM
No, as I mentioned I am new to all of this. I know I am in over my head, but that is how I prefer it.

I learn best when surrounded by things I do not understand, and either muddling through or asking for assistance.

For instance, I learned that generating a galaxy with thousands of stars would probably take forever. Haha.

Thank you for the assistance though Hupailija
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 19, 2012, 6:10:33 AM
orcus2190 wrote:
No, as I mentioned I am new to all of this. I know I am in over my head, but that is how I prefer it.

I learn best when surrounded by things I do not understand, and either muddling through or asking for assistance.

For instance, I learned that generating a galaxy with thousands of stars would probably take forever. Haha.

Thank you for the assistance though Hupailija

As it should be

For my question, that hidden="true" part hides trait from view (used mostly if you want to use trait as a subtrait for some other trait or incase there isn't anything build to trait (alignments)). Remove that and you can suddenly see those traits smiley: smile
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 19, 2012, 9:49:00 AM
So what is the biggest galaxy u created? And how long did the loading take?
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 19, 2012, 11:58:50 AM
Largest map created, so far, was 200 stars at 500 parsecs. Did not take long.

I will, before bed tonight, boot the game and attempt to generate a map that is 10 times larger and see if it actually loads. This way we will know if it is capable of grand scale or not,
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 20, 2012, 1:56:33 AM
So far, game keeps freezing during creation. Over the next few days I will tweak galaxy settings and see if there is some way I can stream line the galaxy generator through xml.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 20, 2012, 4:00:37 AM
What if you could separate the galaxy into sections that load when they need to be show, similar to the chunk system in Minecraft. There might be some lag loading the galaxy when scrolling very quickly into areas that you haven't been to yet, but I think the fact that there are few things to really load onto the screen, it shouldn't be too bad. Of course, what I'm suggesting is likely impossible with the current "opensource-ness" of the game.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 20, 2012, 4:22:06 AM
The current problem isn't displaying the map, it's the exponential runtime of the algorithm to create the map with valid starlanes. If the dev team had planned for hundreds of stars, they would have implemented a more efficient scheme. Of course, it is possible that after solving the current problem, *then* we would see a problem with graphics display speed. But we cannot tell that yet.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 20, 2012, 2:33:33 PM
That might make a difficult game, since you would not be able to travel anywhere without the late game Warp Drive technology.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment