Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Is it possible to add extra effects to weapon and/or defense modules?

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Aug 20, 2012, 4:41:02 AM
For example, adding a HP bonus to a deflector module. I tried making a new .xml file

[code]

Left="25" Right="${Count}" BinaryOperationType="Multiplication"

OperationType="Addition"

Path="./ClassShip"/>

[/code]

and adding it to Index.xml, but nothing happened.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 20, 2012, 5:00:06 AM
Is there any syntax error showing in output_log.txt (search for "Modding")? What happens if you edit the original file instead of adding a new file? What happens if you edit the actual armor module to make it 10x stronger? There are a number of things that can cause your mod to be ignored, which we are discovering one by one.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 20, 2012, 5:18:06 AM
No errors in output_log.txt, other modifications to defenses and armor work in either case. Maybe SimulationObjectDescriptor doesn't affect defense (and presumably weapon) modules?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 20, 2012, 5:32:13 AM
I suggest look at how health is added with health modules and just copy that.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 20, 2012, 5:47:31 AM
Sorry, I thought you had improvised that code. I don't really specialize in modules, so I can't help much.

Edit: In my original post I had started every sentence with sorry, over-apologizing much?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 20, 2012, 11:28:14 AM
Edit: In my original post I had started every sentence with sorry, over-apologizing much?

I think that may be a karmic problem. smiley: smile

Please check your previous incarnations.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 20, 2012, 11:38:06 AM
I think that it would be best if I stay away of this thread, I have huge urge to say something not so nice to OP.

I will just make it short and say: it won't work... to see answer imagine how game loads each file and process those.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 20, 2012, 2:28:30 PM
Hupailija wrote:
I will just make it short and say: it won't work... to see answer imagine how game loads each file and process those.

OK, I know politeness is not your strong suit, but I am interested in the explanation anyway. To me, this looks like it should work.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 20, 2012, 7:11:55 PM
davea wrote:
OK, I know politeness is not your strong suit, but I am interested in the explanation anyway. To me, this looks like it should work.

I haven't seen hardcoded version and this bases purely to how I understood their code to work by reading assets and xml files.

Lets start with how weapon works:

Upon game start or researching technology game may unlock weapon from binary file (or xml). It gets from that xml partition weapon stats.

Game saves weapon stats to table or database which it keeps reading constantly but especially when you fit ship or fight with that ship.

In combat situation game reads from this table or database values and uses weapon according to those.

This could have been deducted easily and probably already knew that.

Now why adding descriptors to weapons doesn't work:

In cases where there are descriptor file for thing that database/table is build to scale to understand further information... for game stuff inside of descriptors doesn't really matter and it can safely store it to anywhere, this means that you can add probably unlimited stuff inside of one descriptor.

Weapons nor defense modules aren't build like that. For their tables are static and every value is equally important. To be able to add descriptors xml would have to somehow change how table or database is build and to be able to add more information there.

Now this is just impossible via these XMLs.

Completly other thing is then that you are adding descriptor file what game may no understand no matter how it's written For game it just doesn't exist.

oh and to be this civil and not to be my normal myself required me to hide anyone but daves post smiley: smile
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 20, 2012, 7:27:14 PM
Hupailija wrote:
Weapons nor defense modules aren't build like that. For their tables are static and every value is equally important. To be able to add descriptors xml would have to somehow change how table or database is build and to be able to add more information there.

Thanks, that makes sense. That is why there is SupportModuleDescriptor.xml but not WeaponModuleDescriptor.xml.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 20, 2012, 8:21:13 PM
Hupailija wrote:
oh and to be this civil and not to be my normal myself required me to hide anyone but daves post smiley: smile

Well, the feeling is mutual then. Welcome to the ignore list. I'll rely on davea to quote anything relevant you write.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 20, 2012, 8:30:12 PM
Sorry, this reminds me too much of elementary school. "Peter, please tell John I am not speaking to him". "John, Peter says he is not speaking to you".
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 20, 2012, 9:16:49 PM
Well, the feeling is mutual then. Welcome to the ignore list. I'll rely on davea to quote anything relevant you write.

That can be interesting seeing how 1/3 of time me and Davea in same thread ends up to argument smiley: smile

Though I didn't say that posters were idiots, what I tried to say was that it was rather hard to see red line in what here was tried because for me it just looked something what never could work.

I understand that those modders who have seen only .xml files and don't know how those works tries things... and this is good. It might reveal something what I won't find by reading assets file.

Still if you have seen me writing ever again you know that I am not most friendliest person... thats mostly for 2 reasons: I have problems with my selfesteem and I suffer from autism.

Of course thats just an excuse and I should try to remember that even in here I am speaking with other living persons who actually have feelings and emotions.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 20, 2012, 9:27:45 PM
Been hanging back from talk like this, but...

Hupa, I think we all understand you here - after all, we're all geeks and nerds and developers smiley: smile. I don't think you're actively unfriendly, you're just not actively friendly either - and that doesn't necessarily have to change. I don't know how much anyone can get butthurt over something said over the internet. You have to be careful not to use 'autism' or 'asberger's' or 'NPD' or 'ADHD' as a crutch IRL, though. Don't label yourself.

That's enough of that shit - I'm just here to code smiley: smile
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment