Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Some questions on loading mods

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Aug 21, 2012, 3:56:27 PM
Im trying to install and load some mods but the process is starting to seem a lot less obvious than it seemed at first. Here are some questions that I have

How do I know that a mod is loaded after I've "loaded" it?

The mod screen says that it has to restart the application after loading, but none of the mods that I have installed, except for one, actually manage to restart the application after I click "load". Actually, endless space simply closes out and does nothing more. Is there something wrong?

Is it possible to have multiple mods loaded at the same time?

I've seen in the instructions on how to load a mod that you can add +mod "mod directory" to the set launch options in steam. This function is very confusing to me and I don't quite understand it's purpose. First, can I add multiple mods to this? How is that done? should it look like +mod "directory" "directory" etc., or should it be +mod "directory"+mod "directory", or should it be +mod "directory" +mod "directory"? (the difference between the last two is the spacing between words)

I may or may not have more questions depending on the answers to these questions. I am greatfull for any help I can get though smiley: smile
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 21, 2012, 4:28:51 PM
You can only have one mod loaded. Which are the specific mods working and not working? I am not sure what would happen if the mod directory has a space. But my launch line in steam is like:

endlessspace.exe +mod community-mod
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 21, 2012, 4:47:25 PM

i think u dont need the endlessspace.exe...

my launch is is +mod b5mod
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 21, 2012, 4:53:16 PM
davea wrote:
You can only have one mod loaded. Which are the specific mods working and not working? I am not sure what would happen if the mod directory has a space. But my launch line in steam is like:

That is a shame. Actually, it seems like all of them gave me that issue in the end. But it doesn't really matter since I can load one mod just fine and the issue that I mentioned only came up when trying to load a second mod. Im assuming that if there were non conflicting elements in two different mods that I could just place the folders of one mod into the appropriate locations withing the directory of the mod that I wish to use and it should work fine?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 22, 2012, 5:38:39 AM
Assuming that the two mods don't edit any files at the same time, you should be fine replacing the original vanilla files in one mod's folder with the modded files from the other.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 22, 2012, 9:47:17 AM
stars2heaven wrote:

How do I know that a mod is loaded after I've "loaded" it?

At the bottom-left corner of the main menu screen it will say something like "endless space v.1.0.14"

The name of the mod will be listed on the line beneath it.

A friend of mine also had the same issue with loading mods (selecting a mod, the game "restarts", but in reality it just shuts down and never goes any further).

He solved it by making a windows shortcut to the executable and appending " +mod " to the commandline.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 22, 2012, 2:24:06 PM
Harel55 wrote:
Assuming that the two mods don't edit any files at the same time, you should be fine replacing the original vanilla files in one mod's folder with the modded files from the other.

Just to clarify, apart from plugins/galaxygenerator which doesn't support this, modders should never release any vanilla files. The only files modders should include in their mods are modified ones. That way, players who want to merge mods should have a slightly easier time. If two mods contain completely different files, they can be copied into one directory. If any of the files are *new* files, then index.xml needs to be modified. If the two mods both modify the same file, it is possible, but more challenging to merge; you must use a "diff/patch/merge" feature in your editor, or do this with linux commands.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 22, 2012, 2:25:42 PM
Grubsnik wrote:
He solved it by making a windows shortcut to the executable and appending " +mod " to the commandline.

Interesting approach. If you regularly play several different mods (one at a time, obviously), this may be a helpful technique. I only play one mod at a time, the one I am developing, so I use the steam launch options dialog instead of making more windows shortcuts.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment