Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

New Modder - Can't Make Modifications!

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Aug 25, 2012, 2:51:32 PM
So I have never modded a game before, but I wanted to make some simple modifications to Endless Space. I don't want to add any content; I only want to change values of existing features (like damage done by weapon modules, ship costs, improvement costs, etc.), so I think this should be relatively simple.

To test my ability to actually make the changes, I decided to arbitrarily increase the cost of the Heavy Isotope Refineries improvement from 75 to 1000 (just for testing purposes). To do that, I went to Documents/Endless Space/Modding/My Mod/Simulation/StarSystemImprovement, and replaced:

with

in XML Notepad. I saved the XML file, closed out, launched the game, launched the mod, and started a game as Sheredyn (because they already have HIRs unlocked from start). But the cost is still only 75! Can someone tell me where I went wrong?

EDIT: Evidently ES doesn't like spaces in the mod directory's name.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 25, 2012, 2:52:55 PM
PS - In case it comes up in replies, I did read the tutorials provided on these boards. If there is other documentation out there that could be helpful, I welcome any references.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 25, 2012, 2:57:56 PM
Well, if you made the change to the StarSystemImprovement.xml directly in the game's root\public\simulation folder, then the change should be immediate. If you went the roundabout way, you will have to load your mod first (make sure to mark it in the index file so it's easier to spot).
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 25, 2012, 3:05:53 PM
Insolentius wrote:
Well, if you made the change to the StarSystemImprovement.xml directly in the game's root\public\simulation folder, then the change should be immediate. If you went the roundabout way, you will have to load your mod first (make sure to mark it in the index file so it's easier to spot).

I did load the mod. At the main menu, I went Mods > My Mod > Accept. Game reloaded. Then I started a new game from there.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 25, 2012, 3:14:52 PM
a4rino wrote:
I did load the mod. At the main menu, I went Mods > My Mod > Accept.

To get the string "my mod", you must have edited index.xml. Please look in (steam dir)\Endless Space\EndlessSpace_data\output_log.txt for any error message; search for "Modding".

As a first experiment (only), back up the original game file in (steam dir)\Endless Space\public\simulation, and change that one. Just to prove you can affect something.

Although I am sure you read the tutorial, did you use "standalone=true" or "standalone=false"? If "true", then did you copy *all* the files from public into your mod? Using "false" is highly recommended; in this case you only copy the files you are going to change.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 25, 2012, 3:35:09 PM
Thanks for the reply, davea. You are the man around here!

davea wrote:
To get the string "my mod", you must have edited index.xml. Please look in (steam dir)\Endless Space\EndlessSpace_data\output_log.txt for any error message; search for "Modding".

I did populate the index with the name Anthony's Mod just so I could recognize my mod from the base game. This is also the name of the directory for the mod itself (a folder named Anthony's Mod). The output file you pointed me to reads:

[Modification] Select('Anthony's'), path not found: 'C:\Users\Anthony\Documents/Endless Space/Modding/Anthony's'.

This looks to me like the game does not like my directory name, particularly the space. I renamed the directory AnthonysMod and now it works!

davea wrote:
Although I am sure you read the tutorial, did you use "standalone=true" or "standalone=false"? If "true", then did you copy *all* the files from public into your mod? Using "false" is highly recommended; in this case you only copy the files you are going to change.

I wasn't quite sure what the standalone field meant, so I left it as true. I appreciate the input. For the record, I copied everything except the registry, audio, and movies (as in the tutorial). I kind of like the standalone approach because I can have all the files up in front of me as I search for whatever I'm looking for. Is there any technical advantage to standalone=false (as in better performance or something)?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 25, 2012, 3:42:41 PM
The drawback to standalone=true is that when you distribute, other modders cannot easily tell which files you modified. So it is hard to merge. OTOH, for two mods which use standalone=false and do not contain any of the same files, a player can easily merge by copying files.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 25, 2012, 6:46:45 PM
davea wrote:
The drawback to standalone=true is that when you distribute, other modders cannot easily tell which files you modified. So it is hard to merge. OTOH, for two mods which use standalone=false and do not contain any of the same files, a player can easily merge by copying files.

That's a valid point. I've made a new version for which standalone=false just in case I decide to eventually post my work on here. In the meantime it is nice because information overload is reduced, and it is easier for me to mentally keep track of where I am and what I'm doing.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 25, 2012, 7:06:10 PM
I also recommend to put a comment next to each file you modify in index.xml, and to put comments by each place you modify each file. This helps possible future mergers.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment